Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SR886 replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by karrot-x, Apr 26, 2005.

1. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    So I have a Ibanez SR886 and I don't feel like buying a new 6er but I love to toy around with it. I've written some pretty intricate things that couldn't be transcribed to a 5 very easily. I don't like the sound, it's very sterile and is actually much quieter then my other 3 basses, 2 actives and 1 passive. I think if I swap out the pickups with Bartolini G6's for $160 and then get a Aguilar pre-amp it will increase the sound "tone" 10 fold. I like the feel a lot, also if someone could suggest their favorite 6 string strings that'd help.

Thoughts?

http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-g6-pickups.htm# - Pickup
    http://www.bestbassgear.com/aguilar-obp3-preamp.htm# - Pre-amp

I'm not sure which models I'd need, would cutting the hole for the selector switch be difficult?

I'm thinking I'll spend a minimum of $280 to fix this up, this seems like a reasonable birthday gift that I could ask for. I plan on doing the work myself, any things I should know about specifically?

EDIT: Also on the pre-amp, would it be wiser to go with 18volt operation so I can get the extra 6 db headroom? This is exciting :0

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I've measured the pickups and they seem to fit as close as I can tell. I was using a ruler that's meant for architechtural work and wasn't marked with mm's but the current pickups measured in just over 5.5" in length and 24 mm in width. I think the cavety is big enough for the aguilar pre, but is there a way to be certain? Anyone else do this to their Ibanez SR886?

3. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I believe this is the size you want according to bartolini's website.
    I believe the Aggie pre is tiny and should definately fit in your bass. Make sure to wire it correctly :D
    Good Luck. :bassist:

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    All BC Shape Dimensions

Length = 3.95 Inches (100mm)
    Width = 1.25 Inches (32mm)

Are you sure that's right? Does anyone have experience with switching pickups and pre-amps in basses where they didn't like the tone? Did the switch fix it?

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'm impatient, someone who has knowledge on the subject would be the best person alive if they could help fill me in on my missing details.

EDIT: Would it be smarter for me to sell this and buy a Brice, then replace those pickups and electronics with what I have chosen? I'm sort of lost on wether this is smart or not.

6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
  7. leofrai

leofrai

Aug 12, 2005
    i bought a sr886. have poor sound. thought to change pickups. emg is the best, i think. but i didnt have enough money, so check the electronics. changed all electrolitics and now sounds much better, brighter and more volume. try this first

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yup, that was illegal, but it sold, so congrats. Take pics of the new bass when it comes.

9. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Wow, this is an old thread :0.

In comes a standard SJB-62MG

out comes...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Thanks for the info. I'm so glad that I happened upon TalkBass.
    I'm now an addict of the forums :D

Personally, I am buying the Bartolini's and the Aguilar preamp and having a local Bass genius install it for me when he sets it up as I have not played it in awhile in favor of my BTB 5 string. I can't wait to hear how she sounds.

Thanks again for the links all!