Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SR990 4-String Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaM13N, Apr 29, 2003.

1. DaM13N

DaM13N

Jan 30, 2002
    Singapore
    Hi, I'm thinking of buying a second-hand Ibanez SR990 4-String from a dealer... except for a few scratches, the bass feels and sounds excellent!

The pickups are active pickups but I'm not sure what is the brand... I was told by the dealer that they are the original pickups... The dealer has also told me that this bass is durable as it was made from strong wood and the neck will not warp at all...

I'm wondering if anyone out there is using this bass and would appreciate some advice(s) as soon as possible! & how much is the bass as well?

Thank you! :)

2. DaM13N

DaM13N

Jan 30, 2002
    Singapore
    Errrmmm... anyone? Anyone can help me? The dealer is selling it to me at a price of S$600 but I managed to lower it doen to S$550...

3. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Hmm, never heard of the 990. Got any pics? And what woods is it made out of?

4. DaM13N

DaM13N

Jan 30, 2002
    Singapore
    Hi Masterbasser_43,

Below is the link for pictures of this bass

SR990

It said "A Musician's Friend exclusive! The neck is 5-piece, quarter-sawn mahogany and bubinga with mother-of-pearl oval dots on its rosewood fretboard. It has a thin, very easy to play profile. The body is African mahogany with a beautiful y quilted sapele top. Add to this both P- and J-style pickups and Vari-Mid 3-band EQ with active sweepable mids. Top it off with black chrome tuners and an AcuCast B-20 brudge, and you've got a bass you won't be able to put down. Natural finish."

It's actually no longer in production anymore... I'm thinking of purchasing this bass but I'm not sure how much it was worth then and would appreciate anyone who's using this bass right now... thanx alot!

5. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Ah, that's quite the sexy bass! Basically, it's a higher end Soundgear (oxymoron?:D jk) between the 800 and the 1300. If you like these 2, or can at least stand them, go for it! If you played it and like the feel and all that stuff, I'm guessing that $550 should be a pretty good deal. Also, since it's discontinued, it might make the 990 a collector's item;)

Never played it myself tho, just trying to help somehow.