Ibanez Srf700 replacement preamp/pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rigby, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Rigby

Rigby

Apr 24, 2016
    More just looking to upgrade it than anything not sure what would work in it with the piezo and all don't mind spending some money.

2. Rigby

Rigby

Apr 24, 2016
    I guess a warmer, jazzy, perhaps even woodier tone is what im looking for

3. Storius-GVA

Storius-GVA

Jun 21, 2017
    Switzerland
    Hey man, I just arrived here, I have a Ibanez SRF 705.
    I'm also looking for an upgrade for the bartolini mk1, as far as I know, they're split coils so no hum and almost a single coil sound... but only almost.
    I got a SR1205 with the fat single nordstrand pu, and I have found them on internet for around 230$ to replace the bartolinis.
    They even offer the choice between alnico 5 or 3.
    Personally I'll go with two Nordstrand fat singles with alnico 3, for the punch and power of the single coil, and the alnico 3 gives some warmth to the single.
    (Alnico 5 have a super high edge that is not required for a fretless in my opinion).
    Good luck with your SRF!

4. Rigby

Rigby

Apr 24, 2016
    Sounds good! I don't know too much about electronics the only ones that fit(p2 size) are Big single 5's would that be a issue at all on a 4 string?

5. Storius-GVA

Storius-GVA

Jun 21, 2017
    Switzerland
    You got to get the right amount of coils for your 4 strings, and string spacing.
    Take a look here, there are all specifications, wiring sheet, size etc...
    Nordstrand Big Singles - Best Bass Gear
    I think the nordy big single could replace the bartolinis without any problems but check the dimensions to be sure.

6. Rigby

Rigby

Apr 24, 2016
    thinks it's p2 size with 19mm spacing what do you mean by right amount of coils? are they would different for 4 string vs 5?

7. Storius-GVA

Storius-GVA

Jun 21, 2017
    Switzerland
    Yes of course, for 4 strings there are 4 pairs of magnets, for 5 there are 5 pairs etc...
    But apparently P2 size for 4 strings the stays the same for either string spacing.
    So you can go on and try those big single 4, P2 size.

8. Storius-GVA

Storius-GVA

Jun 21, 2017
    Switzerland
    Oh I just understood the mistake I made before...
    No the number of coil turns stays the same. But the number of magnets is according the number of strings.
    Sorry for that, misusing the word coil...

9. Rigby

Rigby

Apr 24, 2016
    my issue is the mk1 is said to be replaceable by p2 size pickups but all the p2 sized pickups are 5 string ..so not sure what would work?

10. Storius-GVA

Storius-GVA

Jun 21, 2017
    Switzerland
    No, the big single for example are P2 sized pickups but there's 4,5 or 6 strings available.
    On the link i sent you before, they say the exact dimemsions of the p2 for 4 strings.
    Take a ruler and check on your srf700 if it matches.
    Here it is...: (big single p2, 4strings, dimensions)
    Length 101.35mm (3.99")
    Width 32.26mm (1.27")
    Thats for 4 strings.