1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez SRMS805 pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerich, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Jerich

Jerich

Nov 28, 2018
    dunno if this is the right section,
    I have a Music Man Stingray 5 and for playing alternative metal I was looking for a Dingwall, but meanwhile, I bought an Ibanez SRMS805 because it really impressed me with it low B.
    I love and not sure if I'll buy a NG2, so I'm looking if I can make the SRMS805 even more brutal and with clear sound, maybe replacing the soap bar.
    I was looking for Norstrand, Bartolini USA, Delano ..any suggestion ?

2. What's wrong with the pickups on there now? They are generally well regarded by the TB set.

3. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Reading your post, I"m about 99% certain you want
    1) a more aggressive technique
    2) lower action
    3) some grit in terms of overdrive
    4) increased upper midrange on the amp
    5) a new set of steel strings

...rather than a new set of pickups

odie and HeavyDuty like this.
  4. Jerich

Jerich

Nov 28, 2018
    1) Could be, It's personal
    2) Don't think ..worked a lot with truss rod and gone lower as I could
    3) For distortion I'm using an Alpha Omega Ultra, you are suggesting overdrive for clear tone?
    4) Could give a try, I have already EQ in the AOU lowering low mid and increasing upper mid as default preamp.
    5) Having free string set I put less than a month ago DR Fat Beam 45 - 130. Could be that I like more Pro steels i have on my Stingray

I don't know if it's because I have a Stingray and tried a Dingwall ( which obviously are a lot more expensive) but speaking about the sound they seem brighter than Ibanez. Dunno if it's pickup related or instrument tone itself, and I'm not sure I'm gonna buy a Dingwall I was wondering if it's possible to do an improvement on Ibanez. Reading some post on SR series I found that many replace old Bartolini MK1 many got a good upgrade, for this reason, I am considering pickup replacement

5. Jerich

Jerich

Nov 28, 2018
    No idea?

6. Alex Masters

Alex Masters

Aug 3, 2017
    I think it's the tone of the pickups - the overall tonality is a little dark compared to my Sire V7, which is a single coil Jazz-type pickup obviously, vs. the BH2's humbucking dual full blade coil configuration.

Apparently Bart USA MK5's are a direct replacement for the BH2s, but because of the multiscale nature of the bass, I'm not sure if they used a six string BH2 in the five string SRMS 805 to cater for the slant, or whether the MK.5 pole pieces would be correctly spaced for the SRMS 805.

Have a look at Bass Soapbars Archives - Bartolini Pickups & Electronics to see if any of these are available to fit the SRMS 805. I'd be very interested to know if there is a Nordstrand big single type that would fit too

Jerich likes this.
  7. If you can live with half a mm pickup cavity gap above and below, the Bart P4 shape (6 string) pickup is a direct replacement.