Ibanez SRT705DX 5 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kamino17, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Kamino17

Kamino17

Sep 3, 2020
    I recently found and bought a used Ibanez SRT705DX for sale in my area, I was really happy with the sound and tone of the instrument but upon sitting down with the instrument at home I noticed a popping when turning the treble boost I noticed a popping. So I took it back to where I bought it and had them inspect it and they said that the pre-amp is shot and they cannot repair it. I can still return the bass, but I like the instrument and was wondering if it would be worth considering getting it repaired at all.

2. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    If you really like the instrument then it's worth putting a different preamp into it. How much did you pay for it? I'm asking to gauge how much you might want to put into a preamp.

I'm biased - I really like Ibanez SR basses.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  3. Kamino17

Kamino17

Sep 3, 2020
    I paid $700 for the bass after all was said and done.

4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Here's a shot out of the 2012 Ibanez catalog of this bass:

upload_2020-9-3_21-15-59.png

TolerancEJ likes this.
  5. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    If you can still return it, but want to keep it, I would ask them to refund part of the money and put the money into a new preamp. I'm sure they don't want it back if they'd have to go and replace the preamp.

As I was looking into this bass it looks like the pickups are active and sell for $100 each, so it's already upgraded.

EMG 40DC Active Pickups

If they'll refund part of your money (like maybe $100) you could go with an Audere classic 4-band. They come prewired, the install is easy, and they come with the capacitors you'd need in order to connect these active pickups to the preamp. This would be a definite upgrade over the preamp that was already in there.

6. Kamino17

Kamino17

Sep 3, 2020
    You are amazing, thank you so much for the quick and very informative responses. That is definitely something I will consider.

7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    You're welcome! Like I said, I like Ibanez SR's

img_20200813_193547-jpg-jpg.jpg

The two on either side both have Audere preamps. I'll probably put one in the middle bass at some point.

Yours looks like a really nice bass being neck through and all. The one above on the right is neck through as well.

If you do decide to keep it make sure to post it in The Soundgear Club.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    TolerancEJ likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021