Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SRX 400: Wow!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Mar 29, 2003.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Decided to take alittle trip to Yarbrough's Music today. Play my usual 6-7 different basses. I came upon a Bass with a pickguard that had a humbucking pickup. I noticed it was an Ibanez, so I hooked it into a SWR WM15.....The sound blew me away. The best slap sound I ever played. I was surprised to learn it was an SRX400. So I pulled out the 700 and there was no contest the 400 smote it easily. Plus, the 400 is significantly cheaper than the 700. It gives a Musicman Stingray a run for its money.

~Patrick

2. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    you know i think that there is a difference that some people fail to notice. New strings are radically different sounding than old strings IMO. but it is a pretty good bass.

3. i've also played the srx400. this is probably a pretty old post but i was actually just searching the site for any relevant information on the ibanez. i played one at my local music store and loved it. the action was unreal, sound was nice and funky. i found the neck a "little" small-ish but it'd be something to get used to. for the price, i couldn't find a bass that sounded as good. if anyone else has an opinion or any experiences with this bass, i'd really like to read more and hear about any quirks or anything i should be aware of. thanks and god bless.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I liked this bass when i also tried it in the store. I tried a friends and it sucks once the strings get non-new.

5. how did it suck? just lose all the growl when the strings started to get old?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    NOt when they start to get old, but when they start to get NOT NEW! Ie:maybe a week. THey lose all their "umphh", and the sound is very weak.It isnt as bad as some other Ibanez's though. THis is still one of my favorite of the ones ive tried. THe pickup is rather loud if you set it right.

7. I have the SRX500, and have no complaints about it whatsoever. 2 MM style humbuckers in mine. I've never even had to mess with the setup on it, sounds and plays very well.

And yes, new strings always help.

8. I have also played this bass. It is one of the best values out there in a 4 string bass that actually sounds really good. Sells most places for $399 or so, w/o case. http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SRX400

The neck feels very much like a Jazz neck. It has 24 frets too, which I like. The pickup is very hot, but has a good tone too. The pickup also has a thumbrest built in, a nice perk. I tried it one day in Sam Ash when I stopped in to get a pack of strings, and was really impressed by it.

If I were looking for a 4 string under $500, this would be the bass.

Mike

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I guess I'd like to see Ibanez get away from that whole "Soundgear" thing. To me, there is a stigma attached to it.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You n me both.

BTW the SRX700 is really nice.

11. i'm almost in love with this bass. the only problems i'm having is whether or not i want to trade my current fiver in to get it. money would force me to do so and i dunno if i can live without the bottom end. does anyone know anything about a drop-d tuner? how expensive to buy/install? thanks again, God Bless.

12. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    I know Im diggin this thread up but I just have to say, I bought the SRX400 yesterday, and WOW!
    Its really great, I got it in martini olive green and it looks amazing. I only payed about $300 for it and it sounds better than my friends stingray.

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SRX400&z=y&color=1

Also I put new Ernie Ball strings on it and it sounds great.

13. ok well, i went and bought this bass. couldn't stand looking at something that beautiful from the other side of the window any longer. cost me around 700 canadian but worth every penny in my opinion. i've had it now for well over a month and play it a lot. (university student who avoids work at all costs) the original strings are still on it (elixir nanowebs i believe) and still sound pretty good. the sound is quite the opposite of thin. i can't get over how hot the pick-up is, but i still get a sweet tone. not to mention, this bass is fun as hell to play. i've had so many people tell me it would make any musician look sexy.

only problems i had with the bass were the fact that the tuners weren't tightened all the way in and the washers between the lock nut and the top of the head used to rattle. tightened the nuts on the tuners. hasn't complained since. other thing was that the bass was tuned down a full step from the factory. this was a slight pain. had to retune, re-intonate, re-set action, etc. but still worth all the time and effort.

this bass is so much fun... maybe a little too much fun. haha. anyone ever tries to take it from me, they'll never live to tell the tale.

14. I'm glad to hear that some people are discovering what a sleeper this bass is.

Mike ;)