ibanez srx 500 and fender mike dirnt p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sidhk817, Dec 15, 2004.

1. herez the deal,i wana buy a new bass.my budget is 600.
    after some searching,i cant decide between this 2:
    fender mike dirnt p-bass
    ibanez srx 500
    i play hard rock and punk most of the time.
    and i use a pick
    what would u folks suggest??
  2. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I like both of them. I own an SRX300. It's the cheaper version of the SRX500 (No maple top and cheaper bridge, neck is also slightly different at the headstock). I like it a lot although I wish I had bought the 500 instead. The neck is very thin and fast. I can't really hear much of a difference between the 300 and 500.

It is great for hard rock, and it has a lot of output from it's pre-amp. The pick ups are really sensitive and pick up everything including bad technique. If you roll on a lot of treble the electronics are a little noisy but not too bad. I use mine at church for harder rock / alternative type songs. It's tone is great for that type of stuff. For anything else I use my Fender Jazz.

The Drint bass will probably be more versatle for you. If you play punk or anything else. I have played it a lot and I liked it but I think the pick guard is cheesy and doesnt seem to fit well on the ones I tried. I came very close to buying one before I bought my Fender Jazz.

I think the Drint will be a better all around bass.
  3. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Go with the Mike Dirnt bass. SRX basses, from what I've seen are well done and everything, but for what you want I think the Mike Dirnt might be best.
  4. ceremony74

Sep 27, 2004
    go for the fender. this model is one of the nicest modern fenders i have ever played.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Throw down another vote for the Dirnt. It is a quality bass from Fender. Your music style will fit the Dirnt well.

6. thx for the opinions
    btw,does the dirnt bass pick up loud??
    or what does it sound like
  7. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Still sounds like a P-Bass but it may have a little more mid- range Jazz type tone in there as well but for the most part it sounds like a p-bass. Maybe it was the Crate 100 Watt amp I was playing it through and the Leo Quann bridge that made it sound that way. Who knows?

The difference seems to be more look and feel than tone. I decided to go with the Fender Jazz because I really did not want the p-bass thump, and I like the jazz neck better.

The Drint P-bass did play nice though and I really like the way it looks. Just make shure the pick guard fits correctly. I played 3 different Drint basses and the pick gaurds did not fit or lay flat against the body.
  8. I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them for the style you're playing. I think the SRX would probably provide more bite and cut than the P if you like a bright trebly tone. If you want a darker tone the P is probably a better fit.
  9. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Do just like me: get the MD P-bass!!!!!!!!!
  10. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    I just played both yesterday. The Mike Dirnt Bass has a good P-sound and plays really fast. But I found the neck a little chunky and the body uncomfortable.
    The SRX500 has a thin neck (which I love) and I can play really fast on it. I do love a punchy sound like a precision but .... not too precision-y. Ya know? Plus... the flamed maple is sezzy. =3

If you're going to play hardcore punk, I think the Dirnt is right for you. If you're going to play something more melodic, I suggest the SRX500.

All in all, really good basses. The uncomfortablr chunky-ness of the Dirnt bass was a turn off for me. I'd personally go for the SRX500 but then it's hard to let Dirnt down.