Ibanez SRX 500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigwig, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    hey....this summer im buying a new bass, and ive been looking at this...wat do u guys think as opposed to a fender. a standard mexican fender would cost be about the same as this...but i like the humbucker pickups and the neck looks awsome.
  2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The bass sounds fantastic, especially for the price. One problem though... it's impossible to play. That neck is a toothpick, I could practically wrap my fingers around it twice.
  3. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    i never really thought a neck could be too thin....but i cud see why that cud be a problem..
    ill have to pick on up and try her out
  4. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    It is a good bass for the money and it sounds pretty good. It's put together pretty well, It's worth the money but it's sound seems to be oriented towards rock & metal.

You should go play one though. I have an SRX 300 and it has the exact same neck as the 500. The neck is narrow, 38mm at the nut and a lot of people don't like it that narrow. I actually do because I have pretty small hands for a guy and my fingers are kinda retarded( I can't even do the "Spock Wave") so the close spacing helps me. The pick up's have a built in thumb rest which is nice.

I have found that slap and plucking teqniques are harder on the narrow sound gear neck so if you are into that style this probably is not a good bass for you.

You be the judge. Go to a store and play several brands and pick the one that feels and sounds the best to you. You have to like the way the guitar looks too. That's what got my attention with the SRX models. If you like the way it looks and the way it feels you can't walk by it without picking it up and playing it.