Ibanez SRX 700 roll call !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phillm47, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Carol Kaye really talks these basses up. The threads I've read on them seem to be fairly positive. Can they do a fair imitaion of a P bass?

Who's played 'em? Who's bought 'em? Who's dumped 'em?
  2. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've played a couple of them. I like them a lot. They will get that classic p sound, as well as other sounds.

Excellent quality, great neck, good balance and very nicely finished frets. I don't know how they do it for the price.

I got the SRX300 which is similar, except is a bolt on with ceramic pickups and slightly lighter bridge. It also is very good and i can get a P sound out of it using the neck pickup only. I use TI flats on it and it's my favourite bass now. I haven't played my P (which sounds very good) for some time.
  3. RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    I owned am srx 705 which I thought Sucked. THe neck felt good but I couldnt get the sound I wanted. THe worse thing was that it kept going out of tune on me in the middle of playing. It happened while playing at church one day and that was it. It was off to guitar center the next day. So that my 2 cents.
  4. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I have played it and like it a lot. It's neck is finished very nicely but I did have some trouble getting used to the finished neck. The back of the neck is finished exactly like the rest of the body and it felt weird to me. It feels like I can't move as fast as the 300 or 500 neck. Slight perspiration seems to make my hand stick.

I too have an SRX 300 and alhtough it sounds similar I hear a distinct differece. The 700 has a warmer and less biting tone than the bolt on 300 & 500 series basses.

I think they are a good deal for the money.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I totally respect Carol, but a gearhead she is not. However, she does smoke when she plays her 700. I tried one once. For the price it's a terrific bass. Definitely worthy of consideration, except Ibanez' customer service is non-existent, so if you buy one, you're on your own.