Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SRX Pickup change

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 555, Jul 15, 2004.

1. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    I have a GAS for an Ibanez SRX500 5 string bass at the moment, my question is if i was to change the pickups, what pickups would fit? I've been around the EMG, Duncans and Bartolini sites but the only pickups that look as if they wold fit are the musicman pickups with two screws on the bass side and one screw on the treble side as this is what the stock SRX pickups have.

Seymour Duncans:

[​IMG]

Barts:

[​IMG]

OR maybe these?

[​IMG]

OR these?

[​IMG]

As for the EMG site, i can't find any :(

2. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I emailed guys at EMG regarding changing out the pick ups on my SRX 500 with their 35P4 models. The pick up would actually be a perfect fit in place of the Ibanez unit but since the EMG only use two screws you will need to drill a new hole in your bass.

The SRX 505 will use the EMG40 models.

Go to their website and email the tech department. They respond very quickly and are really helpfull. I think the guys name was Rick that was helping me.

I have since bought the pickups but have not installed them yet. Maybe a project for this weekend.

3. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm thinking about an electronics upgrade for my 505 as well, and this was one of my major questions.

So as long as the pickup has an EMG 40 shape, it'll fit and work and the strings will all have good output, right? Innnteresting!

4. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Talk with the guys at EMG first. I don't want to speak for them but I'm sure it would work. The 40 is designed for a 5 string model.

My info was based strictly on putting EMG's in a SRX500 or 300.

You have to use thier volume and tone pots too. You can't install the pickups and use the stock Ibanez pots. Since the pre amp and balance/volume/trebel/bass pots are the same on the 505 and the 500.

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I think having to use their pots/preamps may also be due to the connector types that EMG uses, I think they're different than what Ibanez uses (which wouldn't be a big deal to change, but you may as well go all out.

Maybe I'll give them a call and see what they're about, although I think I like Bartolini stuff more than EMG.

Thanks for the information, man. I really appreciate it.

6. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Can someone post the dimensions of the Ibanez SRX 4-string pickups please?

Thanks.

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Carey Nordstrand has a MM type pickup available. His pickups are awesome! For more info, go to www.blueberryhillbass.com

Or send a PM to JPJ-he is Jay Lewis, owner of Blueberry hill bass.

8. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    SRX Basses do not use MM-style pickups.

9. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    He's correct, you'd need a soapbar type. They don't have the screw tabs on the sides. And according to my measurements, the stock srx pup is a little longer than 3.5 inches, which the emg 35 shape is. Also consider that bartolini makes pups in the emg dimensions as well. I believe the last one in the original post is it.

10. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist Bassist for Michael "Epic Mic" Rowe

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Arise zombie thread!!! :smug:

Ibanez SRX3EXQM1, looking to put EMG 35DCXs in them with a BQC preamp...anybody attempt before? I have some EMG JX and a BQC in my Ibanez CTB5 and absolutely love them in every way possible, would like that style of tone (with a LITTLE more beef) in my SRX. I'm looking for the extra beef because I use light gauge DRs in the SRX and want to make sure the tone doesn't come out too thin.

11. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Arisen-
    since the SRX pickups are not EMG size, you may want to try the BQC with the original pickups, first. You'll just need 500k vol n bal pots for the passive pickups, tho.

12. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist Bassist for Michael "Epic Mic" Rowe

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Well I've already got a Bart NTMB-3 A/P in there, when I run the setup passive it's just...not doing it lol. Anybody attempt an EMG model pickup in there? Much routing involved? I don't mind putting an extra screw hole as long as I don't have to completely overhaul the thing.