Ibanez SRX Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by girlybassplaya, May 12, 2004.

1. girlybassplaya

girlybassplaya Guest

Mar 24, 2004
    Hi Guys, what do you think about the Ibanez SRX Series. I just played the SRX 300 and I love the active pickup. Who has one? Have you had any probs with it? I also like the thinner neck. Does anyone know of another brand with the active pickup in this price range? (Between $250 and $300) I've only ever had a Fender, and I think I really want an Ibanez, but as always, I have to consult my support group!!

2. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    I don't have one, but an acquaintance has the SRX500. I thought it was quite good, although his needed a setup. I only had a few minutes on it so I can't really speak definitively about the tone. First impression was good though.
  3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I would love to play a 505 or a 705 that has actually been set up. The ones I've played have only been in stores and have been in SERIOUS need of a setup.
  4. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    I could talk all day about how much I hate this bass...

Trust me, I own one and it is my only bass. :mad:
  5. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    I looked at your profile under your gas list. Do not buy this bass if you want a fretless. This bass does not come as fretless, and do not try to pull the frets from this one. You will not like the results from defretting this bass.
  6. girlybassplaya

girlybassplaya Guest

Mar 24, 2004

Thank You! This is the kind of info I need because I only got to play it for a small amount of time. I plan on making a few "playing around" visits before I buy anything, though. maybe I'll buy used, where all the set up stuff has already been done.
  7. girlybassplaya

girlybassplaya Guest

Mar 24, 2004
    This is exactly the kind of input i need. . . anyone like this bass??
  8. kanti

kanti Guest

Feb 22, 2004
    Eugene, Oregon
    The only bass I currently own is an Ibanez SRX 300. It's nothing special, in my opinion, but it gets the job done and sounds good enough.
    I don't hate it, but I would like to upgrade (if only I had more $ :( ).
    In any case I think it's a good first bass in an affordable price range.
  9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Hi Hailey,

In that same price range you would find some excellent Peavey basses, notably the Fury. Excellent active pickups, thin neck, and tremendous sound. Worth trying when you are out and about. I have no opinion on that particular Ibanez so I won't offer one.

10. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I have an SRX505 and really, really like it. The setup from the factory is nice and low, and the neck is screaming fast.

Don't like the Elixir strings that got put on at the factory, though. They're entirely too bright.
  11. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    As for basses under $500 with active pickups, some of ESP's basses fit the bill there as well, and ESP has a better-than-average reputation for quality. The only downside is that while ESP uses quality electronics (EMG pups and preamps on most of their basses), their cheaper ones use agathis wood, which I feel isn't that great a tonewood.

As for your particular Ibanez, I don't have an opinion on that bass, but my past couple of basses have been Ibanez, and while Ibanez necks are very thin and fast, the quality on their cheaper instruments can be spotty. Still, some of their instruments are excellent.

Try out as many instruments as you can, even ones beyond your price range. Then if a bass in your price range reminds you of a more expensive instrument, you know you have something good. The "gut" feeling is just as important as the technical stuff when buying a bass. You'll have less fun with a bass you feel "eh" about than one that really tickles your fancy.
  12. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    people here are right.

for the price, its not too bad (better than other Ibanezezeses). But it will not be anything you would want to hang on to and grow old with.

p.s the four-string version is far better than the five.
  13. girlybassplaya

girlybassplaya Guest

Mar 24, 2004
    Thank you so much! I love my bassfriends! I'm gonna check out some peavey and esp's this weekend. i am having a hard time finding used ones. Thanks again guys!! :hyper:
  14. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I love ibanez!

i love my SRX 505, the tone is awesome. i will never let it go.
    i should say more about it but im still in shock because of how good it is.
    ive had it for 3 months i think.

get one 4 or 5 it dont matter they really do impress
  15. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I played one a couple of years ago and really liked it. I was very close to getting one (the SRX505) when I realized I had enough cash for a BTB405, so I got that instead. Great sound and looks.
  16. i have not played the SRX 300, but i have played the 400 and 700. i liked them both well enough. personally i prefer the BTB series, but the SRX 400 was a lot of fun to play, too. the SRX 700 left me wanting a midrange control, but there were still plenty of tones in it. and the playability of all of them was really great. i guess i'm an ibanez fan. who knew.

the conclusion for me is that none of the SRX series really fits what i want in a bass, but they had some good sounds, and they play well. for $250, it's hard to say "no" if you've found one you like. that will be the difficult part.

on the other hand, i've recently learned how valuable it is being patient and waiting for the perfect piece that i really want. i could've bought an ampeg BA-115, but instead i was patient and got a bergantino HT-112 and a warwick quadruplet preamp. they're more expensive, and i had to wait until i found them used at the right price, but it was worth the wait. unless you absolutely need a bass today, play as many as you can and wait as long as you can before you spend the money. then you'll be sure that the right new or used bass is what you buy.

17. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I know I'm a little late on this thread but if you have not bought one yet I hope this info helps.

I have this bass and I love it. I also plan on sticking with this series and getting an SRX505 soon.

The pick ups are actually passive but it has active electronics. Whatever that means.

I picked it over the MIM Fender P-Bass / Jazz Bass and Yamaha BB 404. I tried several brands and found the Ibanez to be a better bass and the quality and features are excellent for $300.00.

This bass sounds great, and it's very loud but has enough tone control to make it work for many different types of music. On a good sound system (PA) this bass blows away my friends mid- eighties Steinberger and my daughters Fender Jazz.

Also the neck is narrow and very fast. My 14 year old daughter plays this bass and also plays a MIM Fender Jazz and an Ibanez GSR200 and she finds this neck easiest to get around on. It's also fairly light as basses go.

I highly recomend it.
  18. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    maybe try out the Dean Q series basses, reasonably priced, and personaly i like them alot more then then just about any ibanez ive played

EMG pups, Dean 3-d Pre amp ( actually pretty nice ) on a basswood body, maple/mahog neck, abalone inlays nice flamed maple top on the one i have.

there great for there price, and they dont "feel" cheap like most ibanez basses
  19. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    The famous Carol Kaye recently switched to an Ibanez SRX-700, so it can't be that bad of a player. Check out her website= carolkaye.com
  20. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    most well known bassist that switch over to major brands usuaully have a completly tweaked out custom shop model made, and slap a common model on them to up sales : ) ie Ibanez : P