Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SRX300 Vs. Yamaha RBX374

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 555, Oct 16, 2004.

1. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Hi all,

I dont know which one to get really, here's the good and bad points of each bass:

Ibanez SRX300:

Good Points -

£35 cheaper than RBX374 thus it's cheap

Made In Korea (imo its better than made in Taiwan where the RBX is made from because i haven't heard many made in Taiwan basses getting better over the years but i have with made in korea)

Two band EQ with high output pickups

Bad Points -

Basswood body

Yamaha RX374:

Good Points -

Alder body

Got Red colour which is my favourite

Two band EQ

Bad Points -

Made In Taiwan

More expensive

Painted satin black neck

Any views???

Thanks! :bassist:

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    There are nothing wrong with basswood bodies, but atleast that's my opinion. Though IMO Yamaha makes a more solid bass.

3. I played an Ibanez SRX300 last night. Pretty light bass, easy to move around on. Good tone from the pickups, high output for sure and because of it a nice sounding G (as opposed to a lot of basses I've played with a really quiet G)

4. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Thanks for the reply you two, does anyone know if the Yamaha pickups are high output aswell?? I still can't decide *cries*

5. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Also which one has the best growl? I am guessing Alder gives the bass better growl right?

6. IMO, the growl will rely more on the strings and electronics.

7. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Hmmm well i will be most likely either using D'Addario or Elite Nickelround strings and both electronics on the basses are the same, both are 2 Band EQ's but the question is which of the electronics are better made?

8. Couldn't tell ya who's is better. Your best bet is to either hear soundclips of each or go play them yourself.

9. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    It really sucks when i don't have a car :bawl: I am at university and the nearest superstore guitar place is like an hr drive lol although there is a small little guitar store about 20 mins away, im sure they stock the SRX500 as i saw on their website but not sure about the SRX300 or the Yamaha. I'll give it a go.

Thanks for your help! :bassist:

10. This thread is a little old (it was like 4 pages back when I found it, but anyway)...

...I have two Yamaha's, an RBX170 and a RBX765A - both made in Taiwan and I have to say that the construction on these is better than just about everything else in the same (and slightly higher) price range.

11. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Thanks for the advice Bradweiser, i think i will go for the Yamaha, i found a place that sells them for £195, going to get it next week:D

12. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Go for Ibanez, Yamaha is only good at motorcycles and synths. IMO :D

13. mochafrap

mochafrap

Jan 5, 2005
    To 555:

I recently picked up the bass again after about an 8 year hiatus. Searched music stores for a long time. Played a lot of Ibanez sr s' at the store and almost bought one. Going in to make the purchase then saw one of the (then new Yamahas 374),
    played it, fell in love. Great bass for the money. Beautiful growly tone, well constructed; to me looks gorgeous. Made in China-not Taiwan but quality is definitely there. I realize instrument purchasing is very subjective, but I am more than happy with this bass. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Ooops. Just realized thread is a little old. Well...hope you like yours as much as I like mine.

14. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Late reply but it's good to hear from another RBX374 player :) I agree it has a very nice growly tone (This is what influenced me to get a growly bass aka a warwick corvette) I got mine in Red Mettalic and very happy with the finish, its a abit sparkly too when you hold it up against the light which is even better, i like glamour basses :p The satin black neck doesn't bother me, i love the feel of the neck, very fast and the right size. I didnt know this bass was made in China until i received it, my heart kinda did slump down all of a sudden after reading it on the box (not being rude/racist or anything, i am chinese and imo MIC products are not so good as i hear crazy stuff about MIC products in the news today) but hell i was wrong to doubt the bass! It was extremely well constructed, played very well out the box (only had to adjust the action and tune the strings) Overally an excellent bass!

15. mochafrap

mochafrap

Jan 5, 2005
    Hey 555:

Glad to hear you like it. Got mine in the Black "Grand Piano"
    finish. Looks beautiful but pretty hard to get the smudgeprints off after playing. Purchased back in summer of 2004 as sort of a late birthday present! Still very happy with it. Occasionally browse music stores to keep up with whats out there and still find there is not much better than the 374. I recently slapped on some D'Addario XL nickelwounds and sounds really good. I'd like to try the new Pro-steels but the nearest music store did'nt have any yet. Hope all is well. Cheers. Oh yeah...I did'nt mean to slam Chinese manufacturing or sound racist. (My wife is Korean). But I 'm not sure what kind of reputation has been standing about musical instruments made in China. It has been a stereotype that only cheap products come from there but me thinks that is no longer the case!

16. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I own an SRX 300 and I use it almost daily. It's a great bass for the money but it is slanted more toward aggressive style of music. The pick ups are really high output and pick up everything you are doing on the strings. That includes bad technique. It is a very easy bass to play and if like thin necks it's perfect. I highly recommend it.

As for the basswood body, it's fine. there is nothing wrong with the wood. It's realted to maple and has a nice warm tone to it. It has a weird stigma about it, like it's a cheap wood but it's really not. Music Man makes their Bongo out of it.

As for the RBX 374 I can't really say because I have never played one. I started out on a loaner RBX 270 and it was ok but I really did not like it enough to buy one for myself.

17. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA

These days China has excellent manufacturing facilities and some of them can probably rival anything in the west. There is a lot of Western $$ going into China to build state of the art manufacturing plants.