1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez SRX500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrapBass, Mar 12, 2004.

1. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    During the past week I have taken 2 trips up to my local Guitar Center. I went to look for a new bass because I an sick of my POS Rogue. There were three basses there that I particularly liked. They were a used Ibanez SR5000, New Warwick 4-String Thumb Bass, and an Ibanez SRX500. The SR was about $700 and was in 9/10 condition with no nicks or anything. The Warwick was about $1000 dollars off brand new so it was around $700 too. The SRX was about $475 and was brand spanking new right out of the box when I got there. I was just wondering what you guys might think has the best bang for the buck. I don't want to ask the salesman there because he will just try to smooze me into buying the Warwick because it is the most expensive. Also what are you guys opinions on these three basses. I played all three for like 20 minutes apiece and they all felt about the same quality wise. So if I could get a few opinions on these from some guys who know what they are talking about.

Thanks
    Michael

2. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Hm...

Well, I guess if they all feel the same to you...

I have a SRX300, and I'm half-GASing for a warwick corvette, they definitely have different necks, with the vette having that thick "baseball bat" kinda thing going on.

Personally, I would go for the warwick, since I believe the quality is better than the Ibanez.

Also, if you get the warwick, it's a lot easier to find new J pups than it is the humbucker clones in the SRX. Down the road if/when you decide to upgrade/change the electronics, it's an important consideration.

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Go back and play each of them again. Pay attention to how each feels (forget the newness of it all). How does the neck feel when you play it? Does it make your hand tired or not? Does it sit in your lap well? Does it balance well when on a strap? Listen closely to the tone of the bass? Does it sound good? These are some of the things you may want to consider as you evaluate the bass. I like both Warwick and Ibanez but I would be more tempted by the Ibanez because I like small necks. However the tone of a Warwick is, IMO, rather rich sounding which would also pull at me.

Just some things to think about.

Dan

4. yeah, i had an SRX500 before and the neck is really something... very easy to play normal finger stuff but my index finger always get caught when i slap... the preamp on it is not bad too... a bass worth the money!

5. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Go for Ibanez SRX500 , period. :D

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    When I bought my SRX505, the decision came down to a Rockbass Corvette 5 string and the SRX (since I had capped my spending at $600). All I had to compare with was an SRX705 and a standard Warwick Corvette. Figured I could play each of those and come away with an idea of what I'd be willing to give up to be satisfied with their little brothers. The 505 won out in the end almost totally on neck feel (that's a huge sticking point with me on any bass I play, it could sound like angels singing and I'd still hate it if the neck wasn't comfortable). The 505's neck is almost flat on the back, and very fast. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I'm happy with my purchase.

7. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Thank you all for your opinions. I do agree with you when you say the small neck on the Ibanez is good. Especially for me because I am only 13 so I still have alot of trouble reaching the G string. So I think my decision has come out to the SRX.

Thanks Again,
    Michael

8. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    The SRX's are really something

9. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    well thats awsome...i was looking into gettin an srx500 in the summer.