Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SRX505TK 5 string Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, Mar 26, 2002.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow! It has a sleek bolt on neck and a really clear tone!:D

3. Ladies and Gentlemen, the caustic embelisher...

Looks good, I wish Ibanez would make them with a maple fretboard. The preamp looks like it sucks. Other then that it looks promising.

4. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Bigfeet, why do you think the pre-amp might suck? If you have any inside info, please let us know. True, the SXR's pre-amp is not likely on par with the BTMs, but...

Well for what its worth, in the new Bass Player mag, Dough Wimbish (sp?) was playing a 4 string neck-thru verson of this bass which I think is called SXR 700 or something. Aside from the neck-thru body bit, it appears to be the same bass electronics and all. Wimbish is an Ibanez guy and has his own signature models (which are pretty pricey, btw) so I doubt he'd be playing the SXR it the pre-am was crap. Then again...well he IS an Ibanez endorsor and I suppose its not unusual for some corprate suit to tap an endorsor on the shoulder and ask them to take some pictures with a new product of their's.

Which goes back to the origonal question, has ANYONE tried out one of these puppies (especially the 5 string)? It looks so cool, I'll be totally bummed it it really is crap!

Thanx!!!

Ron

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey, I was just quoting the sales pitch from Bass NW!:D

6. It uses the same preamp that's in the 305; I set my EQ's flat on all my basses. I think it's pretty silent for an active preamp, I find myself plugging into the passive input of amps to get more volume when I try them out. It's no lie that Ibanez basses get a bad name because they're associated with certain players but it really looks like a promising bass. But that EQ is a real turnoff, I think better selection of the pickups would be better then a two-band EQ. A seven way selection switch would make it more appealing IMO.