Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez story

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zirc, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Well yesterday I walked outside to hear one of my neighbors down the street (who's a pretty good guitarist) playin in this band, and I was bored, so I went over to check em out. Well the bassist had this Ibanez SR300DX playing through a peavy combo. I thought the tone was INCREDIBLE and so clear and bright for playing with his fingers (usually when I play with my fingers on my MIM Jazz, the tone is dull). That "Phat Eq" switch on the Ibanez is just amazing. But yeah, that's my story.

I think the Ibanez SR300DX sounds better than my MIM Fender Jazz.

Tone is just one's opinion, so all who think Ibanez sucks, that's just your opinion. Personally I think that's an awesome punk bass.

So yeah, I like Ibanez now.

2. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I had an Ibanez once, it was good for the price.

3. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I've never liked the necks on the lower end Ibanez basses. My MIM Fender P has all the tone I need and it feels great. Not to say that the Ibanez isn't a good bass, but if you're looking for THE punk bass, try a Fender P with the tone rolled all the way up and if you're playing with your fingers then pick really close to the bridge and you can get a really good "pick sound". That's my .02

Dirk

4. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I've tried Fender P basses before and I don't like the single P with tone. I think the ideal punk sound (for me) has to have some J tone in it. I love a growly twangy punk bass. Basically I need a stingray, but I don't have 1200 dollars and I prolly never will until I'm out of college.

Plus that Ibanez is looking reallllll good for $320.00. Maybe I could sell my jazz.

5. s_boy

s_boy

Mar 16, 2002
    gloucester, nc
    although one day i hope to own a high end bass... right now for the money i love my EDB605.

for $550 new with h/s case its a nice piece of gear, good warranty and would be hard to beat... i know... i looked/played around for awhile.

the active eq gives some awesome variety and makes it a real keeper for when i upgrade later.

6. The new ibanez with dual humbuckers (that look like a G&L) are kind of cool. I still don't like the necks and to electronics sound a little choked on the cheaper ones but its a step in the better direction from the SoundGears. The BTB's are kind of cool as well.

Maybe Ibanez has been watching the threads and has started listening.

BTW Lefty, I don't think you could ever get a Ibanez Phat tone out of a Jazz bass. They mind as well be two different instruments. Not just two different basses.