Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez String Gauges

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pdusen, Oct 24, 2004.

1. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    What gauge strings to Ibanez gsr200s come with stock? And what brand would be a good replacement?

I heard that Rotosound is very good, but i've read some of their strings have a serious fret wear problem, and I'm not interested in refretting this thing 3-5 years from now.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    45-65-80-100 gauges. Standard by some companies, but I tend to use heavier gauge strings than what came with my Ibani. Use whatever gauge strings you like, but you may need a new nut (not a bad idea with a low end Ibanez) and a setups (also, never a bad idea)

However, if you choose to keep the same gauge strings, Rotosounds are good, I use Labella Hard Rockin Steels. And yes, steel strings are hell on frets and fingers, but IMO the tone is worth it. I play HARD, bend a lot, and after three years, my frets still are in pretty good shape. I doubt you play as hard as I do, so your frets should be good as long as you have the bass, I'm sure.

3. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    I've got three years on my 200 using nickel round wounds, medium guage, various companies. The frets have some wear on them, it happens. Five years from now, you'll have more gear, and the ibanez will be demoted to 'backup' status. Enjoy it now :D!