Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez - Take it or leave it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fuzzyweazel, Aug 23, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuzzyweazel

fuzzyweazel

Aug 22, 2000
    I've been thinking about getting an Ibanez SR800. My friend has one and he likes it. I've played it a few times and thought it was great. Should I buy it or not? Also, if i should't do you have any recommendations?

Thanks, Cody

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    If you think it is "great"...then go ahead and buy it. You are the one who is going to play it.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The SR800 is actually quite good, compared to the SR 400 series. Of course, "great" is a relative concept. How much was the price on that bass?

Will C.:cool:

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I find that anything below the SR800 series are kinda the same quality wise (not a good thing), but 800 and up are very decent. If you like it, I'd get it, because no matter what people say, if you like it, then buy it. Just because someone else doesn't like the feel, doesn't mean you won't either.

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I've had an Ibanez SR800 since 1992 and have been pleased with it. I like the smaller neck which is comfortable for my hand size and I like the lighter weight of the bass compared to some others I own. Shortly after I bought the bass the pickups went bad, but Ibanez replaced them for me free of charge and I have had no problems since.

If you find the bass comfortable and if you like the sound of the bass (mine has active electronics) and the price is acceptable to you, don't hesitate to buy it.

Jason Oldsted

6. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    Like I tell every one I know...I guy named bill told me when buying a bass, play it before you plug it in. look for 3 things...
    1. Does it feel good? is the neck comfortable
    2. Does it sing? Any quality bass should have a nice, but quiet tone before you plug it in. one of the nicest basses I have heard was a Sadowski. The owner played it, and I could hear it across the room without any amplification.
    3. Move your hand from playing position to all the switches and knobs. look for comfort.
    4. Does it look good on you? ask for a stap, and look at yourself. I am a big guy, spectors and stienburgers look silly on me. you may think this is lame, but if you are playing out, you probably want to get some ass too.

PLAYING COMFORT IS NUMBER ONE...if the tone sucks, you can allways throw some better pickups and preamps in it

7. fuzzyweazel

fuzzyweazel

Aug 22, 2000
    I've found it for $471.99 which is the lowest price i can find. Thanks for your replies.

Cody

8. Thewiz

Thewiz

Aug 23, 2000
    Hi, I've had a SR890 since 1993 and I love the thing. Yes, it's light, has a fast neck, and is fairly easy to adjust. I've had my ups and downs (pun intended) with the action, but I think I got it set so I can standard tune and also drop it all a whole step without buzzing anytime I wish now. It feels great, looks great, and sounds great by itself... no need to change anything about it for me. What I've not known is the difference between an 890 and an 800... maybe the gold hardware?

9. Nirvana4ever

Nirvana4ever

Aug 2, 2005
    I have had a Soundgear by Ibanez for a while now. I love it. It is comfortable to play, the quality is great, and it is totally durable. If you are comfortable playing it, definetly get it. You will not be dissapointed.

10. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    How did you miss the fact that this thread is 5 years old? I mean, really?

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Hey - it happens. Sometimes people do searches and find relevant threads, not realizing that the thread may be old.

12. hahahaha! :D

but you have to admit that point #4 that "Top028" made was worth the admission...again.

13. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    :rolleyes:

...yeah. :D

14. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man

That is so simple and yet so beautiful.

Thread Status: