1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez TMB30 vs. Squier Jaguar SS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by covermego, May 30, 2016.

1. covermego

covermego Still here....... Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    OK, the TMB30's have been around for a short while......... and I'm really GASsing for one.
    I currently have a "converted" Mikey Way Mustang (mustang pickguard and the little mustang pickups, clear coat removed, painted banana yellow, etc......pics later) that is a blast to play.
    I have also owned 2 Jaguar Short Scales. Those were nice.
    Having said all that, I'd like folk's comparisons/thoughts/pros/cons of the TMB30 compared to the Jag SS model. I know the Ibanez neck is beefier, right? How are the electronics, out-of-the-box? Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. And yes, I have done a search, but there is really no detail about the TMB30 that I came across. Thanks.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would take the TMB. They have more versatile electronics with the bridge humbucker, and I think the fit and finish are top notch for a bass in that price range. Of course, they play great and sound great too.

Ikkir, Aaron Mc and wintremute like this.
  3. covermego

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    Thank you, Dr. Cheese. I value your opinion. And I also value your "daughter's SX" confession! I've thought of going that route, too. I must say, however, those TMB30's are just a beautiful looking bass. One or two more responses in favor of them and it'll be NBD for me, with a review!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    I have serious gas for a black tmb30. I don't need any more basses but I will have one...

Get one so I can live vicariously through you until I get mine!

wintremute and covermego like this.
  5. I'm going to end up getting one. Talked to my L&M rep today.

I had a Jag SS but it got sold. I like the slightly wider TMB-30 neck.....I only found one video on YouTube where it was demoed.....and the demo clip is pretty short but from what I heard that's the exact tone I'm looking for.

Not sure how heavy they are. There was a thread going about this bass a while back but I can't find it currently.

covermego likes this.
  6. covermego

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    I am getting ready to do this....... But the latest dilemma is....... Coral Red, Ivory or Black? I love 'em all!
    If I love this bass, I plan on matching the body color to the headstock...... guess I wouldn't have to worry about that with black, eh?

7. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Exactly my thoughts on the color dilemma and why I would do black. I would love to see the red with a matching headstock or even the cool soda blue color they have on the bigger Talmans.

Sweetwater has one at 8lbs. I would expect them all to be around the 8# range with some being a bit lighter.

8. covermego

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    Yeah, I saw that demo, too......wasn't the greatest, but it did, indeed, give you a decent idea of their sound. I think I remember your threads about the Jag SS. Didn't you go with some Geezers in it......for a while?

9. I contemplated modding it..... didn't in the end. But no....the Geezer mod must have been somebody else...

covermego likes this.
  10. covermego

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    Sounds good to me.
    I'm probably going with Coral Red. I don't think it's a metallic color.....can't really tell. I hope not, but no biggie.
    I just picked up an all-black TRB100, 1994 model. It does need some tlc, but I really wana restore this black beauty and rock it.
    Old mannism...... shunning the tort after all these years and now........ shunning my Fenders?

11. covermego

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    OK, I'M DOING THIS! BACK LATER................

Duder and Sid the Kid like this.
  12. covermego

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    Coral Red one on the way. I'll let you and everyone know when it is berthed at my doorstep.

wintremute, ZenG and Duder like this.
  13. I wanna see the modded mikey way

covermego and WhoSeyes like this.
  14. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Totally gassing for one in ivory. So sweet looking!

covermego likes this.
  15. +1, let's see the Milky Way!

covermego and WhoSeyes like this.
  16. bnolsen

bnolsen

Jan 30, 2014
    denver area
    I played around on a tmb100 a few months back. I was impressed with the finish, the weight and balance. I liked the body better than the jaguar (full scale), it was a little bit larger and sat easier on the leg. If the tmb30 is anywhere close to the tmb100 I would jump on that over a jag ss. Even better now that the jag SS is more expensive. Yes I do have a jag ss I bought in january at that 127usd deal...and I'm fine with my jag (I like the split pickup) but my gretsch junior jet is much more comfortable bass to play all around.

Aaron Mc and covermego like this.
  17. Bassmaticmatt

Bassmaticmatt

Feb 13, 2016
    Dallas
    I've not played the 30 but I have played the 100 And really like it. I have the jag full scale and like it also, so I decided to order the tmb 300 on saturday. I wanted a different pickup configuration.

bnolsen and covermego like this.
  18. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    Where's that banana mustang???

covermego likes this.
  19. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Ibanez FTW!

covermego likes this.
  20. covermego

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    On its way. The pics were on my memory card that was problematic. Now it's dead.
    Back in a few.