Ibanez TMB600 weight?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Sep 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm very interested in getting an Ibanez TMB600 because of the Nordy pickups and that the P pickup seems to be in the normal P position. I have a p/j Ibanez SR but the P pickup is farther forward than a normal P - not in the center.

img1_455181.jpg
    [​IMG]
    images.jpg

If you have or have had a TMB600, how much does it weigh? I'm concerned that it's going to weigh 10 lbs or more because the body is kind of a slab of wood. My SR480 weighs 9 lbs.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    one currently on sweetwater weighs 9lbs 13oz

3. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Hmmm....

4. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    Just demoed one yesterday, was a little on the heavy side but played and sounded great. A wider strap you should be fine. Things a steal at 549

5. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Someone recently made a thread on this bass, and they weren't happy with the quality control on it.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have a TMB605, and it is under 10 lbs.

7. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    The P pickup placement looks about the same except it's reverse, which some people find desirable. It might appear to be further forward because the SR has more frets. You would need to measure both from the same fret to be sure.

osonu likes this.
  8. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    You're right - now that I look at the distance from the bridge it looks like they're in the same spot. I was looking at the fact that the TMB P is between the bridge and the neck, but the body is bigger and the neck is shorter. I'd have to take my SR and compare pickup placement to an actual P. I don't want to get the TMB it it's going to be redundant.

9. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    What I really need to Sonia demo my bass compared to others. One of the switches on it toggles the P between series and parallel. In parallel I think the P sounds like a slightly fat J neck pup. I'd have to A/B them, though.

10. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Never mind. When I measure from the 12th fret to the gap between the P pickup halves I get 11 3/4" which is the same as a Fender P. It was just the difference between number of frets and body size that made me think it was placed farther forward.

I totally don't need the TMB. I should get an SR with soapbars.

11. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    They're heavy. Too heavy for me. That's a lot of wood and it's ash. And not Swamp Ash either AFAIK. Average is going to be about 10 lbs.

12. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Yeah, never mind. I'm done with basses that weigh more than about 9 lbs. I think I'm shooting for either an SR600 (soapbars) or an SR1200e (Big Singles). That'll give me a different enough sound to justify having more than one bass. Justify it to me, that is. ;)

StrangerDanger likes this.
  13. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    My Fender Jazz Bass is a great bass bit it weighs 9 lbs, which isn't too bad but when I compare it to my 2 Ibanez basses that weigh 7 and 8 lbs respectively, it feels a lot heavier.

14. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Maybe I'm a wimp but I don't feel like strapping 10 or more pounds of bass to me. I recently ditched my 85 lb 410 and have a 38 lb Schroeder 1210pl on order. Lighter is better if it sounds good. I consistently get compliments on the tone of my SR480 - granted, i did upgrade the pups and preamp.

15. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I have a couple of the new generation SR series with the new pickups and preamp with the switch and they sound great.

Attached Files:

16. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    That's great to hear! I had wondered about those tappable pickups and how they sounded. What with Ibanez teaming up with Carey Nordstrand to put new generation CND pickups in their SR650 and SR750 basses, I wondered if these dual-coil soapbars were emulating Nordy Dual-Coil pups.

Do they sound good in double and single coil modes?

17. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I think they are definitely dual coil Nordy copies. The coil tap brings 3 very noticeably different tones and they are all useable in a mix. I am very impressed. I was not a fan of the previous generations of pickups and preamps in these basses but these are definitely a huge improvement.

18. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Awesome! I'm not a fan of MK1 pickups or preamps, and had been looking at other SRZ basses figuring I'd have to modify as usual. I'll look for an opportunity to try anSR370 or SR400QM and see what I think. How much does that one on the left weigh?

19. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    7 lbs

20. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    drool

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021