1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ibanez: tonal dilemna

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PMC89, May 7, 2006.

1. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    so i have an ibanez sr400. and it has great action, great playability, and it looks cool too. thing is, it sounds wayy too high-midrangey unless i turn the bass on the 3-band eq all the way up. then it sounds amazing, EXCEPT such high eq causes unwanted distortion.

would switching the pickups and eq be a good idea in this situation. the acoustic sound is good. and i think that perhaps it is not the bass itself which is lacking in.. bass. but the electronics.

2. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    bump cos i needa know.....

3. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    nah, you shouldnt change the pickups and electronics, cuz if you would want good sound, than you would be spending like $250 to $300 for some bart pups and an aguilar preamp, and that is almost the price of the bass itself, so, you should go with using different strings with a heavier gauge to get the bass.

4. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    only heavier i can get is heavy. im alrite on medium heavy. and they don't work. trust me here.

plus, most of the basses sound IS the pups. and the player. and i like how i sound :)

and as i said, the bass rivals most other basses i have touched in playability, construction, etc. (and i have played f basses, pedullas, fenders, gibsons, smiths, zons, etc.)

obviously its missing alot compared to THOSE. BUTT it does sound much better than the 400 i bought it for.

5. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    cool, than get some active emgs and an aguilar three band preamp with one bass/treble stacked pot. GO FOR IT!!!!
    :bassist: :bassist:

6. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    what are you playing through?

7. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    swr workingpro 400

and an avatar 2 10. and its not the rig. because playing other basses through it get all the bass id ever want.

8. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Get some Barts and either a Bart pre or Aguilar.

9. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    my thinking exactly. :smug:

i was thinking twin volume, and 3 band bartolini. with bart p/js. single coil j.

10. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    yeah, if the bass feels nice, then put the good pickups in it....I think there is more groove in the neck feel and the spacing than anything else-- that's why they call it "feel"

Hey Akami- I'm coming up there to Alaska this summer to see the in-laws! Can't wait! ANy good place to see live music in Fairbanks?

11. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    You might want to go the $0 route first, and just adjust the pickups. Raise the lowend side, and lower the high, and you can change the voicing of the bass away from being so high-end prominent. From what you describe, it sounds like they are setup wrong to start with - check the setup instructions from Ibanez and see, and if off, start from there, and work up to a setup you like. You say you like the sound, other than the tonal balance, so new pickups probably would not do any better than correcting your setup . . . .

- Tim

12. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Did you get my pm?

13. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    I actually got rid of the Barts in my SR3006, didn't rate them at all. I had a set of pickups made by Christoph Dolf at www.bassculture.de - basically told him what I had and the sound I was looking for and he made it happen. Now I rarely use the EQ at all :)

14. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    I have a Bass Collection active PJ 4-string bass. I had the same issue. I changed to Sadowsky pups, removed the preamp completely and it sounded fantastic.

15. zackattack

zackattack Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    San Francisco
    I've got a bass collection sb310, which I also took the preamp out of. The only problem that I've got with the bass is that there seems to be no treble and very little midrange coming out of it.
    Do you think changing the pick ups would help? Is this a similar problem to what you had with yours?