Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Jul 10, 2001.

1. What is the Ibanez 'tone'? I mean, Warwicks have the growl, Stingrays have their own sound...what is the general Ibanez tone IYO? Name different models if you want.

I don't, however, want this to dissolve into an 'Ibanez has no tone' insult thread, please...

Thanks

2. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Oh it has tone, but it's quite generic too my ears. Not necessarily a bad thing. I'm not an Ibanez basher either, check my profile.

3. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    i guess it's pretty bright. kinda hard to describe...

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's flat! No one way or thew other, just dead center, middle of the road. I dig that! It's...well, unconfrontational, in a way. You can sit in with anything with a good, flat tone. By flat, I mean not weak, but not bassy or trebbly or middy, just even.
    Just IMO/E

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i think ibanez has not a particular sound. first of all because ibanez is a brand and not a model of bass and every ibanez model has a different sound. second because ibanez mostly used and use pickup configurations not new. i can speak about the fender j tone, the p tone, the rick 4001 tone, the gibson t bird tone. some basses have their own tone and other not. in my opinion ibanez basses have not their own tone; they have a mix of tones, maybe.

6. the ED(A/B/C) and the BTB have full-range..

you can get pretty much any tone out of those..
    " from fieldy to fender with the flip of a switch " if i'm not mistaken ? :)

dunno about the (G)SR series..

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You just can't expect highend tone from a mass-produced midprice bass, regardless of brand.
    Why?
    Highend hardware, electronics and pickups wouldn't fit the budget, and most of all, you can't get the top quality wood selection and and quality required for such highproduction volumes. There's simply not enough supply of top quality wood. And it would be to time- and money-consuming to select wood for a 300$ Ibanez or Fender. They just use the wood that's in the shelf.
    So the basses from those factories vary in wood quality and sound.
    You may get a great sounding bass from Ibanez, But it will be like an accidental 'Golden Sample'.
    In most cases you get what you pay for - an average-sounding bass for an average price.

8. You seem to have gotten the wrong end of the stick...I wasn't asking if the tone was any good(that's all opinion), I wanted clarification on what it is. Warwick has the middy, growly tone, Ricks cut through the mix, etc. What is the Ibanez soundmark?

I'll make it easier: In your experience, what is the tone of the following models:

BTB
    EDA/B/C
    SR
    ATK

Should be able to get a good idea for future reference of the different model tones, eh?:D

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, sorry, I missed the topic a bit.
    But my Soundgear just sounds like - average. Decent tone for all kinds of styles, but no particular characteristics tonwise that could be described in just one or two words. You can tweak it a lot with the semi-parametric tone pot, but it's still a little ordinary sounding.
    I played this one for years, but I can't find a way to classify its sound. :oops:

Modern active bass, a little flat in tone perhaps - but that's just MY particular soundgear.

P.S.: I have a Soundgear 1000, early series, with the semi-parametric tone pot and the original Gotoh 3D bridge, not that Fender-like bridge.

10. EDC705 goes full range.. it can do really " wooly " ( only lows ) and it can do fieldy ( lows + highs, no mids )

i think it sounds a bit like the warwick..

11. I think for a long time Ibanez tried to imitate the sound of other Manufacturers, but, as with any attempt at imitation, it never turns out exactly as planned. Over the years they gained expeience, and now I think they're starting to almost pull ahead of the status quo (I love Latin) and are creating their own sound.(Very good) I'm not trying to start an Ibanez superiority thread, but have you tried any of the BTBs first hand? I tried them all, and aside from being very versatile (vintage Fender as well as modern sounds) the only basses I feel could equal them were anyone else's top of the line.
    No matter what you think of Ibanez, you have to admit they come up with some groundbreaking ideas: Monorail bridge,The Ergodyne series, and those conquering BTBs. Yum.

Mike J.

P.S. My fiance's name is Yoroshuni Ibanez.(chortle)