Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez TR Expressionist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selta, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hey all. I was just wondering if you guys out there have played these and if so, what are they like? Good/bad/indifferent? Are they better than SR's? Also, do the active electronics help it or hurt it? Thanks!

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wassup

My first bass was an Ibanez TR-500. It is a good bass. I still have it and play it all the time. It sounds pretty good, but not great. The active electronics are pretty good also. the TR series has a tendency to blow out the pre-amp, but it can be repaired pretty easily if you know someone who can do it. I have never played an SR though, so I can't say which is better.

The TR's kinda remind me of a fender. A lot of people I talk to agree that they are very similar to fenders. They sound a lot like fenders.

I have never had any problems with it, and it is a fine bass. I got a new one because I wanted a 5 string. I still use the Ibanez when I don't need the low b string.

Are you thinking of buying a TR?

Nick

3. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Tubass, where about do you live? I got to work (school) on Sligo Ave. is that close to you or do you live closer to Wheaton?

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Do you know where Burtonsville / Laurel is? That is where I live. I am in walking distance of Burtonsville, and go to Laurel all the time because it is so close.

I've been to Sligo a few times. I kinda know the area.

Nick

5. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    The Ibanez Expressionist series is of course now discontinued. I think in it's day, it was designed to be a cost effective Fender Jazz bass. These are good basses though nothing phenomenal (IMHO).

Given the choice, I would lean more towards a non-active model because often active models in this price-range have less than desierable preamps (at least when these basses came out--the stuff currently coming out of Korea, however, just keeps getting better and better). Still, I wouldn't turn my nose to an active model. Last I checked, eBay had one for under $100 with no reserve (better get while the gettings, good!). If possible, consider the passive model which is likely both less expensive and you can always choose to upgrade with yr chose of active pickups and/or preamp. The only hitch is that the pickups (if my memory serves me right) are Jazz-like, but larger in size. So if you choose to upgrade the pickups, you will not be able to simply drop in new Js.

Ron

6. Fracs247

Fracs247

Feb 20, 2011
    I found a fretless version of this bass and haven't been able to find any info on them any thoughts?