Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez TR

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flea Claydirnt, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Does anyone have any experience with these basses? What do you think of them? What kind of sound does it have? I heard it sounds like a Music Man Stingray but I seriously doubt it! but I am after that "style" of bass sound so if they do it well I might get it.

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    No no no...
    Thats not the one that sounds like the Stingray.. that is the ATK300 Bass.
    The TR EXpresionist is modeled after the classic basses like Fender Jazz and P.. But uses 2 mini soapbars instead of 2 J-Pickups..
    It has 3 Band eq and is a regular bass... not bad but nothing special about it.

If you are looking for the one that everyone says its Stingray Like but more versatile then that is the ATK300 wich has a Triple Coil Pickup and 3 Band EQ.

3. Thats what I thought. I had just read that on ebay but they don't know what their talking about. I still would like to hear more opinions on the tr though.

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Which TR is it #?. There is a difference between the pickups on the low end ones, and the high end ones. I have a TR 600 (best one), that used to be my main bass until i moved to 6 strings (Cirrus). It has a thicker neck than a SR, although it still takes a little practice to get slapping down, because the strings are a tad close. Not really a big problem though. You can get all sorts of sounds out of it. I love the Active Eq's bass nob. It adds in really LOW punchy bass! The mid, and high don't do alot though. Also its nice being able to switch active off to save batteries. I like the low on the bass better than on my $3000 stack. Basically it is like a mix of a fender jazz, and fender P. It doesn't sound like a stingray though. Finally though its not very important, the colored head stock, and pearl pickgaurd are cool.
    I'd really recommend it if your in the <$1000 range.

5. Thanks for the input BassMasterG. I was wondering abut the higher end TR like your 800 and not the cheaper GTR and no paticular model number. If anyone has any info on the GTR's I will welcome it also.

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't think there is such a thing as a GTR. Its the GSR which is based off of the SR series. The lowest TR is the 50. The highest is the 600. It was probably just a typo though. ;)

7. I have one of those Ibanez store product books thats lists them as GTR 50 & 70.

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Call me dumb, but if you're after the stingray sound, why don't you get a 'ray?

I never quite understood that. Nothing's really gonna get you the sound like the bass itself.

Sorry if that came off rude, I don't mean to flame anyone, but I just don't really get that.

9. Actually CrawlingEye, I agree! The reason I'm interested in these basses is not about copying a stingray tone, I had read that and thought it sounded crazy but I was interested in these basses before I read that. I am however Into a punchy tone which I think is what a Stingray has, but I never even played one so I don't even know if it does! I should have asked if it had a punchy sound because I heard it sounded somewhat like a Stingray and I think thats what a stingray sounds like. BTW I'm Playing The 'ray copy for a much more childish reason than to copy it's sound, but I do love it's sound although I don't know if it copies it or not. P.S.I thought you were not rude at all, you were just making a valid point.

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Meaning you don't really know what a 'ray sounds like? Listen to an Anti-Flag song, their bassist uses one a lot. Get a song like: Seattle was a riot

I think you'll probably like it.

11. Yeah CrawlingEye, thats kinda the sound I'm going for. But the thing is I'm not after a stingray sound but the stingray has a sound similar to the sound I'm after. Therefore if I see a bass that is supposed to have a 'stingray sound' then I want to look in to it because it just might have the sound I want.

12. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    TR doesn't sound like a Stingray.

13. lordigg33

lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    i have a tr70 and it has a stingray sound to it, it has a p and a j pickup and can get those punchy funk sound. and also has a really really really nice fretboard. plays like a sting ray, obviously not as good as a sting ray but for the price u can get those sounds.

iggy

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Maybe because its more expensive? ;)

15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Possibly, but let the thread starter answer that.

If it's not the issue though, I don't see why he wouldn't just get that. The thing that's gonna give you the most versatile *stingray* sound is a stingray.