1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez tr300 pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jul 21, 2008.

1. just yesterday i was playing around with my ibby, by that i mean pulling it apart and servicing it, and i noticed on the cables coming from the pickups there was small white and red wires coming from each pickup, which were shrink wrapped at the ends, so i pulled the shrink wrapping off each one and they were soldered together, now i know there was a tr500 which was active, so i pulled them apart, plugged it back in and there was a HOOOOOOOGE difference in tone and output (not good difference) so somehow i thought that they were for a battery, so i soldered each white and red wire together and then soldered them to a 9v battery connector thingy....when i plugged it it, with both volume controls up it sounded fine, a little more boosted than normal, but when i went to turn down the neck volume control it didnt actually turn down the volume but more acted like a bass cut and then the other volume control did some wierd things.

so i then un-did what i did and tried a seperate 9v battery for each pickup, and it worked, the controls worked the way they were meant to and i had a more boosted output, the bass sounded more alive....

so, have a just made my pickups active? have i killed it? will it constantly be drawing power from the batteries?
    13.jpg
    17.jpg

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021