Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez UE-303B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mr_Dave, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I'm picking one of these up tomorrow!! Did a gig with a guitarist i hadn't seen for a while and he didn't want it

i'm really looking forward to trying out the autofilter with my oc2 octave and prunes and custard.

Im looking forward to using the chorus for some cheesy slapping and soloing!

Not so much use for the compressor but maybe i can get it to subtly tame the Filters Boost... Thats what the master foot-switch is for is guess... :)

I was kicking myself for letting a cheap Akai deep impact go, so i decided i couldn't let it happen again with this!

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I used to have one but sold it. I'm looking forward to your review, so I can have a 2nd opinion on it.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Oh man, I love my UE303B. I was just ranting a bit about it in another thread. The auto-filter is (to my ears) actually fatter and greasier than the original Mutron III and Ibanez AF-9 that I own. The chorus is also super fat and creamy and natural-sounding. The compressor is a love/hate thing: It is extremely powerful and punchy, but it is also noisy and artifact-y. I would definitely use the compressor in a loud noisy setting (like a metal or funk/rock band live on stage), but it is too noisy and unnatural for most clean/studio situations. Overall, though I think the UE303B is one of the best things Ibanez ever made!

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Well, i got it home and i've been playing with it. I'm digging it but i think i'm going to give it back and keep my cash (he said i could) The chorus is fantastic, i really like it. I don't have much use for it though. But it makes me want to look at getting a Maxon CS9 reissue later on or something.

The filter is good, but im not so sure about that either. seems to cut a bit more bottom end than i was expecting. I haven't tried it through my full rig yet though. But really i'm desperate to get my new rig happening and i really should keep the cash. I can use an amp at all times but the chorus and filter only sometimes... but the chorus is great! made me like chorus :D

5. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I posted some of my dislikes about this pedal on another thread. But I took it out of the closet today and really gave it a workout. It does sound better than the last time I messed with it.

Agreed, the chorus is FAT! It makes my bass a little louder than in bypass mode, but this can be adjusted with the compressor level if desired.

The envelope can nail that "Charlie Brown's teacher" sound, if you're into that. I've found that some settings rob bass, and others overdo the low end. Probably true of all envelopes, but that was one thing that made me quit using it. In the 80's I bought this thing to try to nail the keyboard bass parts on all the cover tunes my band was doing. I never really got that to work.

It is very cool that this unit has an effects loop. Also, it is built like a tank. I don't know if the 303B is true bypass, but my level sounds the same on or off. It did clip my Demeter preamp though - with the master on, but no effects on. I turned the preamp down a tad and turned up my power amp.

It seems that this pedal almost makes the grade in a lot of areas. I would like to try it with a blended dry signal (ala Barge VB Jr, eg) and also with distortion in the mix. I was going to sell this multi, but might incorporate it into an uber-pedal board, just to be able to use the chorus and flange. lol.