Ibanez USATK Original Price

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kenfreshmeadows, Feb 20, 2010.

1. kenfreshmeadows

kenfreshmeadows

May 25, 2009
    Im an ATK fan but i never got the chance to play a USA one from the 90's.

Im curious to know more about them. Does anyone know what the stores were originally selling the 4-string and 5-string for?

Any opinions on these USA versions? thanks!

2. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    The Bunker ATK's were made as a way to bridge the Standard and Prestige models (sorta like the SR500's) the prices were around $990 -ish.

You can proabably get a used one for just under $800 if your lucky it's unknown how many were actually sold but, it's safe to say alot of them were as more than a few artists sponsored at that time by Ibanez asked and recieved a customized USATK.

However as yopu know there was a dispute and the production on USATK's with the free floating neck ceased and the demand for them increased I haven't personally ever seen one but, I know Bunker guitars still offer basses built with a free floating neck design so if you want to try out a neck like that i'd say bunker guitars is the place.

3. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I have two friends with these. Theirs seemed to be much heavier than my entry level model but I also remember lots of ATK's being heavy at that time.

The free floating neck is very interesting but I am not convinced on it being superior to a standard truss rod.

Both basses had amazing grain and finishes.

4. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

May 10, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Can someone explain the free floating neck? Not sure what that is.

I have an ATK 500KA -- made in Japan and offered in 1996 only, with a Koa top.

Attached Files:

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Sure can...I've disassembled more than a couple in my lifetime. The design is ingenius but I'm not convinced it offers much more than a conventional neck.

String tension is borne on an internal steel rod instead of the neck / fingerboard. The distal end is connected to either the headstock or headless string clamp, the rod travels thru the neck via a tight-fitting channel, and connects with the neck at ~19th fret where a threaded steel "pivot" pin passes transversely thru the neck and steel bar. A rear-mounted access at the heel allows you to adjust relief by producing counter-torque between the wood components and steel rod. By virtue of design, the fingerboard in both its resting state and while under string tension has no relief. The desired degree of relief is "artificially" induced by either increasing or decreasing the aforementioned counter-torque at the heel. Cumbersome, but it works as described.

Sidenote: the internal steel rod can be used as a weapon if necessary.

Riis

6. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    ^ Ha Ha Ha Yeah, it could.

7. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    That's kinda what I took away from it.

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The list prices were $1199.95 for the 4 and $1399.95 for the 5.

9. kenfreshmeadows

kenfreshmeadows

May 25, 2009
    I just got my hands on 2 5-Strings. They both need work. One of them might not be usable as the neck is messed up. The other hopefully will be working fine after a grind and polish.

I have to say I love how the neck feels! It isnt as chunky as the Korean ones ive had or played. It feels pretty flat. Its so easy to play and i wasnt expecting that.

It sounded great but it was old strings i need to put new strings on it. Its in the shop now. Anyway I feel very lucky to now own this. The feel and sound really make this a great 5-String.

I have read that people estimate there were about 500 made. I dont know if they mean of 500 each of the 4-String and 5-String or what but any info on the production run would be appreciated.

10. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    What's wrong with the neck?

Riis

11. kenfreshmeadows

kenfreshmeadows

May 25, 2009
    The guy i brought it to says it has waves in it. I'm going to find out sometime fri if it can still work

12. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    wow, I got mine brand new for 560. I think the store thought it was one of the foriegn models, and i wasn't asking any questions. It was my 1st fiver ever.

13. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    The 5, with the bad neck, any interest in selling the body. What color is it, and what kind of shape is it in ?

14. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Not sure what that means but if its beyond reasonable repair, please send me a PM....I may have use for it.

Riis

15. kenfreshmeadows

kenfreshmeadows

May 25, 2009
    Im not sure what im going to do with it yet. The original color was blue. It has faded to a green. Very unique looking to say the least

The condition on the body and neck show wear. As far as the electronics they work except the toggle switch only works on the bridge setting. On the other 2 settings no sound comes out.

I'll keep you posted on both. I will know more by fri or early next week. I will get pics going then as well

16. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Wow you got a golden ticket!

Where'd you buy 'em at?

17. kenfreshmeadows

kenfreshmeadows

May 25, 2009
    thanks

it was from craigslist. Well we will see how golden it was when i hear back from my guitar guy

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021