1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez vs ESP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VeNoM, Jul 6, 2014.

1. VeNoM

VeNoM

Feb 16, 2008
    Slovenia
    Hello!
    I'm buying a new 5 string bass. And I can't decide which one to buy, so I would need your help. I'm looking at Ibanez BTB1405e and ESP F-415. I play in a progressive death metal band so I'm looking for that bright metalic sound which you can hear bellow:

I currently play a BC Rich Beast NT through a zoom B3 and an Ampeg SVT 3 pro with an EBS 410 classic cab. I like my current sound, it gets very close to Zyklone's. But because we are moving to a lower tuning (7 strng guitars) I would need a bass with a good B string and a 35" scale (please don't recomend me any 34" scale basses!:laugh:).
    http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb...&cat_id=2&series_id=53&data_id=183&color=CL01
    http://www.espguitars.com/products/9894-f-415fm-stblk?category_id=1963374-f-series-2

Unfortunately I can't try any of those two basses, because they are not available in my country so I will order one from Germany. I would like to know if anybody played any of those two basses and which one would you recomend me? I don't care so much for the looks, but I do care for the sound, quality and playability.

Here are those two basses:

Thank you! :bassist:

2. Arkazail

Arkazail

Mar 1, 2014
    buffalo, ny
    I haven't played the ESP, but I have played a Few BTBs. They have a really thin, very wide neck. The string spacing is really wide, unlike a lot of 5-string basses out there, so slapping is pretty comfortable. So if you like wide necks, it might work for you

3. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Even playing with a pick you can barely even hear the bass in that clip. I can hear it a bit during the first 10 seconds gurgling underneath everything, but when he starts singing it's buried.

Any bass can be made to sound bright with the right strings, pickups, and EQ settings.

4. VeNoM

VeNoM

Feb 16, 2008
    Slovenia
    Yes, I like wide necks. I'm used to standard string spacing on 4 string basses. I forgot to mention that I've had an ESP B155 before, but i've sold it because i didn't like the B string (it had a 34" scale) and the stock pickups didn't sound good to me and I also prefer wider string spacing (B155 had 16mm string spacing). But i'm willing to close my eyes on the string spacing on F415 if it has a great B string, great playability and a great sound.

5. raventepes

raventepes

Jan 7, 2012
    Reno, NV
    I think the Ibanez will get you there, but I'd also look at Schecter Hellraiser Extreme 5, or a Schecter Damien Elite 5.

I'll put up the disclaimer that I've always wanted an ESP F body, but they just don't come with 6 strings, let alone 7 strings. :(

How's your 2-handed tapping?

6. VeNoM

VeNoM

Feb 16, 2008
    Slovenia
  7. rimmry

rimmry

May 5, 2014
    I think that the ESP will fit for you.