1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez vs. Maxon Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by etoncrow, Mar 18, 2009.

1. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

I apologise if this has been asked before but i could not find it. Could someone please clarify the differences, in lay-man's terms, between Ibanez and Maxon pedals. They look identical, have identical model numbers and Maxon produces all of them. Production eras and cost are the only apparent differences. Thank you.

I found one answer myself. Thanks anyway: http://www.analogman.com/IbanezMaxonAD91.htm

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    The first major difference is the quality of parts in manufacturing for sure.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Maxon is like the Fender Custom Shop, and Ibanez is more like Squire. Ok, that's a little bit of a stretch, but you get the idea.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I strongly disagree, unless you mean only in recent production. From the late '70s until the early '90s Maxon manufactured all Ibanez effects, so the parts used were identical. Current "new" Maxon is much higher quality than current new Ibanez.

5. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    exactly.

6. so, basically, buying an old ibanez pedal would be the same as buying an old maxon???

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yes.

8. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i understand and have known all of this except for one thing. back then there was the old ibanez and old maxon......was ibanez like the us market version and maxon the japanese market version. why two names?

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I've always supposed it was like that, Maxon selling only locally while Ibanez sold worldwide, but I'm not sure if that's how it necessarily went. Time to do some research I guess!

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    2 completely different companies. Ibanez was an instrument builder that distributed Maxon's electronics under the Ibanez badge (all vintage Ibanez pedals say Maxon on the bottom and/or inside).

11. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Well...I learned something today...

12. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    My bad, I should've clarified that statement. When I looked at my g****rists guts for their Maxon and Ibanez jawns, they were different qualities.

13. I own a maxon 9 series flanger and a reissue ibanez delay. Placing them side by side and comparing, the ibanez seems to produce a considerable amount of noise while the maxon does not. Im not sure if this could be a manuafactering attribute but perhaps in terms of quality for the new generation maxon and ibanez, I'd prefer the maxon in this case.