ibanez vs rockbass basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by den saakaldte, Apr 28, 2012.

1. den saakaldte

den saakaldte

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello,

I own an Ibanez SR500 bass for a year, which was a present from my aunt!
    I love this bass and its sound(Bartolini pickups are great), but i think that its neck is not very convenient for me(i have long fingers) and after some hours of playing, i can't play comfortably and get tired!

So i'm thinking to change it with another bass with a fatter neck!For example, as i read, Rockbass basses have fatter neck than Ibanez basses, so i think that a Rockbass Streamer Standard or a Basic4 could be a good choice for what i want!

I tried also a Spector Performer, but i didn't see much difference!

So if someone owns a Rockbass bass, could he tell me how fat is its neck?
    For example, the thickness of the neck of the SR500 is 19,5mm!Which is the thickness of the Rockbass?

Unfortunately, the music stores of my city don't bring warwick or rockbass basses, so i don't have the chance to try one!

Of course, you can recommend me another bass that you have on your mind and it could fit me, but please not more expensive than 400-500euros!

Thanks in advance!

2. den saakaldte

den saakaldte

Apr 28, 2012
    Any help???

3. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    This is just an anecdotal answer, but:

My wife has played SR basses since she was 14 and about a year ago changed to using a Rockbass Streamer 5 as her main bass. She has small hands and is very happy with both the feel and the tone.

edit: Found this doc, which may help with your specific questions.

Attached Files:

4. natt12321

natt12321

May 4, 2012
    Swansea, UK
    I started on a rockbass, it was given me so I don't know the model number, but have switched to a SR500 because it's much more comfortable for me to play, I couldn't play the A string and use my thumb to keep the E still on the rockbass but can on the SR500.

I dunno the exact measurement of it, but if you are looking for a fatter neck, it certainly has that.

5. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    I've had both SRs and now a Corvette RB as my main player... the RB is a touch thicker from front to back, but not by that much. The nut width is the same, so you still get the narrower fretboard. Out by the head, it does feel different though. The Ibanez gets really skinny near the nut.

The RB is slightly heavier also, as the SR500 is a really light bass. With long fingers, you may benefit from a wider fretboard as much as you would from a thicker neck.

If you like the sound of the 500, then your closest match would be the Corvette Basic Active, which has 2 jazz pups and a fairly wide tonal range. Controls are Volume-Blend-Treble-Bass and I have to say, this is a really nice bass, as long as you go for one of the new ones with the 2pc bridge. Waaay better than a Performer and at least as good as the Spector Legend line.

6. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    MarkoYYz +1

even if I'd love the Streamer P/J pack (but then it's just me...)

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. den saakaldte

den saakaldte

Apr 28, 2012
    @UncleFluffy
    Thank you very much for the pdf!

As i can see in the pdf, the width at nut is 39mm, which means that is only 1mm wider than Ibanez!And the thickness from front to back is only 2mm more!

Do you think that i would feel any difference?

I'm a little confused...And a convenient neck is the most important think for me now!

Would you recommend me anything else?

I also read good things about G&L Tribute L-2000 and i can say that i like it very much!The width at nut is 44mm(!!!) but i don't know anything about the thickness from front to back!

8. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Maybe move up to 5 strings?

9. den saakaldte

den saakaldte

Apr 28, 2012
    :)

Thanks but, I was talking about another 4-string bass!

I don't like 5-string basses so much...Maybe in the future!

10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I personally like Ibanez soundgear basses for their versatility in sound quality, light-weighted bodies, and their affordability. I'm not really into rockbass and warwick basses to be honest with you. don't get me wrong, they sound great and all, it's just that I like Ibanez basses more.

11. den saakaldte

den saakaldte

Apr 28, 2012

I agree with you!I like very much their sound(Bartolini Pickups are great)...The only problem that i have, is with their necks!I find them very thin and i can't used to them!For example i played with a warwick corvette(made in german) and i felt much difference!I played more comfortably!

What's your opionion about G&L Tribute L-2000?Do they have fat neck?
    I found much infomation about JB2, but if i understood correctly, their necks are like the necks of Jazz Bass Basses!

12. The SR500 sounds and feels like a much better quality instrument...because it really is. The electronics, pickups and woods on the Rockbass line are nothing to rave on about. They are, however, decent low end basses good for beginners or as backups.

The necks are a little thicker than the Ibanez SR500 but not by much. I think the Rockbass line has necks similar to Jazz basses...still relatively thin but not Ibanez-thin.

If you want a bass that sounds as good (or even better!) than the Ibanez SR500 but wth a thicker neck and for a great price, look at the Ray34 from Sterling by Music Man line of basses. For the same price of a Rockbass you actually get a much better quality instrument that's comparable to its American made Music Man Stingray counterpart.

13. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    You could try an Ibby BTB - the neck is fatter/wider than a SR neck.

14. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Man,
    G&L Tribute are very good basses for the price, but really huge
    neck shape for a guy startin' from Ibanez Soundgear.

You could for instance consider an Ibanez ATK, and dimensions
    are right there as well.

I love "baseball stick maple necks" (Billy Sheehan's about his Yamaha Attitude - that I own a couple of), but G&L can be unpromptu disappointing, from Soundgears'. Think about it.

Anyway, again, good basses for the price... and if you plan to spend a little more the tribute carved top are very very classy

Cheers,
    Wallace

15. den saakaldte

den saakaldte

Apr 28, 2012
    @Wallace320

Thanks a lot for your recommendation!

Despite i started with an Ibanez SR, i cannot say that i'm used to it or that i like it!And i say this because every time that i play with a bass with fatter neck i feel very nice and i enjoy playing!

I'm also used to classical guitar playing and thin necks don't help me very much!So that's why i'm thinking about G&L Tributes!

Well maybe i should try an ATK(a little difficult here) but do you think that G&L is not a good idea?Could yoy tell me a bass that is like L-2000?Something from Fender or Yamaha(they are the only bass brands in my city)!

16. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I haven't played a g&l bass, but I have heard how it sounds. and it sounds pretty cool. my friend's ex-boyfriend's dad has a g&l bass and it sounded pretty cool. I once saw him play that bass on an open mic jam at a place where my bands like to perform at and I would say the bass sounded pretty cool.

On the subject of thick necks, I really don't mind them at all. as long as it's not super chunky like you would find on a couple of six string basses. but decently thick like my schecter stiletto 5-string bass.

17. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Well:

from Fender's, you should like
    - Precision Classic '50 (MIM) or the Roger Waters Precision;
    - Precision Classic '51 (CIJ) or the Sting Precision;
    - Mike Dirnt Precision (MIM) it's '51 slab body with '59 "split";
    - Mark Hoppus Jazz (MIM) it's Jazz with Precision neck n'split
    - Frank Bello Jazz (MIM) it's Jazz with Precision neck n'split...

From Yamaha:
    - a second hand Attitude Limited II (recognizeable by a giant Yamaha logo on natural headstock);
    - BB 424/424x (if with pickguard and chrome knob) thinner than Attitude, but still a bit thicker than previous 414/414x...

Cheers,
    Wallace

18. den saakaldte

den saakaldte

Apr 28, 2012
    Wallace thank you very much!

I'm going to try some of them today... :)

Thanks again!

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021