SOLD Ibanez w/ Hammon DarkStars, 34" scale semi-hollow bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by mellowgerman, Jun 26, 2020.

1. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Price:
    $725
    Strings:
    Up for sale is an Ibanez Artcore bass from the early 2000's, 34" long-scale, modified with two Hammon Dark Star pickups and Gotoh GB707 tuners.

My idea was to make a long-scale counterpart to my Guild Starfire bass that I could tune one whole step down for some extended range, to perhaps tap into some different creative inspiration. Realistically though, I just couldn't get comfortable with the longer neck, so I've tuned it back up to standard and figured I'd pass it along to a real long-scale player to enjoy.

Plays very well and sounds as amazing as you'd expect. Truss rod works fine and there's little to no fretwear. Controls are passive vol, vol, tone. Just set up with a fresh NOS set of old-formula Fender flatwounds 55-105, not even broken in yet. Pretty sure the body is all maple and the neck is 3-piece mahogany/maple/mahogany. I don't have a scale but I would estimate the weight to be about 9.5 lbs. No structural issues, only cosmetic stuff from regular use by the previous owner -- which I've tried my best to capture in photos and describe in detail below. Bass ships in a RoadRunner gig bag.

$725 FIRM plus approximate shipping to your location. CONUS deals only and paypal preferred. Of course, free local pickup in the Orlando, FL area is also an option. If you're familiar with DarkStar pickups, then you likely know that they're practically unobtainable these days and they easily go for $350+ a piece on the rare occasion they do pop up for sale. So you're essentially paying for the pickups and tuners, but with a free bass attached, all inside of a free gig bag! Would consider partial trades, but do need to end up with at least $400 in my pocket.

The vast majority of the cosmetic blemishes mentioned above are minor dings and dents. I would not say the previous owner was a madman who threw his bass around, but he must have been a busy gigging bassist and a bit uncoordinated/clumsy, as there are plenty of little bumps and dings. Couldn't really capture the ones around the body and the back of the neck, but the most notable, which you can also see in the photos are the following: one chip just above the neck volute (base/back of headstock) which was colored in black and a few up at the tip of the headstock. There are also some finish cracks, one the back of the headstock extending up from the chip by the volute, another extending down from the G string tuner mounting screw, and one on the face of the headstock, extending from just left of the tip down to the Artcore emblem. I had my tech check these out and he confirmed that they are just in the finish and nothing to worry about. Apparently the glassy poly finish on these was prone to cracking from temperature fluctuations, which makes sense as this bass came to me from up North. Again though, just being extra descriptive in the interest of full disclosure.

This first photo I took last month at the office under the florescent bulbs
    20200515_091404 - Edited.jpg

These were all taken yesterday evening in dimming natural light so the finish looks a little darker:
    IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0180 - Edited.jpg

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  2. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    These are great basses, I used one for a number of years. I can only imagine that the Dark Stars make it even better. GLWS

mellowgerman likes this.
  3. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Those are really pretty basses. Much better sounding to my year than the short scale Artcores that came a few years later. I'd be all over it but for the fact I just ordered a Curtis Novak DS pickup for a Pbass project. Good luck. Great bass. Price can't be beat.

mellowgerman likes this.
  4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    That looks like a fun, great sounding bass.

DrMole and mellowgerman like this.
  5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I put a single Hammon a dark star in a hollow body.. it had the voice of god... ergonomicly the bass was a disaster - caused me 6 weeks of PT for tennis elbow. But damn it sounded good!

6. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    How would you describe the sound?

7. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I started to write out an abstract explanation of how it's kind of a mix between a Guild Starfire and a 60's Jazz bass on steroids, before I stopped myself and just recorded a demo clip real quick.
    So anyway, I did my best to cycle through some different tones it has on tap. For each riff/noodle I start on both pickups, then neck soloed, then bridge soloed.
    (1.) fingerstyle with the tone wide open
    (2.) pick with the tone rolled off just a hair
    (3.) fingerstyle with the tone rolled off
    (4.) some chord stuff
    (5.) pick stuff with some palm muting
    *sorry but I'm not a slapper, though this is probably one of the few semi-hollows on which you totally could do that, maybe just throw some roundwouds first -- I'd be happy to put roundwounds back on it before shipping if that's preferred by the buyer.
    Finally please, keep in mind these are brand new flatwounds that are not "broken in" yet so they have a little extra high mid, treble, and clank, that will warm up nicely once they're played for a few more hours.
    (please excuse any sloppy playing as I just did a single take, quick run-through without any real planning)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    SlowpokeJoe, redstrand and Standalone like this.
  8. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    That is fantastic, absolutely sums up the sound. Might have to snag this if it's around in mid July once I get paid for a project

9. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah, I was thinking there's a touch of Jazz bass in there due to the 34" scale giving a little extra snap and the pickups being a bit closer together than on a Starfire, so when both are selected, it gets a little bit of that scooped 60's Jazz bass vibe

10. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Totally dig it

mellowgerman likes this.
  11. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    MAN, I wish I hadn't just bought another bass (just DAYS ago!) here on TB!!! I really wish I could take advantage of this....I've always wanted to experience even ONE Darkstar pickup. A hollowbody Artcore with TWO of them? I cannot believe it even lasted throughout the weekend! I'd wish the OP luck with the sale, but it'll be in the hands of a new owner any minute now. And it won't be ME, 'cause I'm now broke. :( Dangit.

mellowgerman likes this.
  12. buddyro57

buddyro57 me and PJ (living with the angels now)

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    Quite a wide variety of very useable sounds. Really like the look too!

mellowgerman likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021