Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Weeping Demon (Guitar) Wah Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NoisemakerD-Lux, Feb 21, 2005.

1. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Has anyone here tried this thing? It's really for guitar, but a person at Ibanez informed me that it also works for the bass.

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    well.. it will work for bass but the issue will be whether the signal coming out of it will still sound like a bass, or just a guitar..

preservation of low end freqs in the signal is your main concern.

if you try it out let me know how it sounds because its an interesting pedal.

3. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Well, I got this thing in the mail yesterday morning.

Even though I have a bad case of the flu (fever and all), I couldn't pull myself away. Instead of laying in bed, I spent over 6 hours total time just playing my nuts off. Maybe because I haven't used a Wah in a couple years [used my old one so much I think I got burned out on it]. But maybe because this thing is so damned good. So far, I love it.

I had 3 concerns with this pedal. It had to work on the full range. It had to have a super wide sweep. And it had to have enough lows in it to sound like a bass. I'm happy to say that I'm satisfied on all counts.

This Wah works with the bass just fine. The manual even states that the High (Frequency) setting is for the guitar and that the Low one is for the bass. There is a sample setting provided in the manual specifically for the bass guitar.

The design of this pedal is fantastic. Very well thought-out. Every adjustment is easily available (no need to unscrew the bottom base like on the RMC3 Wah), yet it is hidden from accidental change. The 3 Tone-Lok knobs (Level, Q, Lo) safely pop inside the base, once you set them, and the Auto-Off Delay and Range Fine Tuning knobs are underneath the pedal [the thing you step on; not the base].

The battery compartment is right inside the box on the right side where the Manual On/Off switch is. Just press the button and it pops open. No more unscrewing the base the put a new battery in. A LED indicator dims to let you know that the battery is going dead.

You can easily switch between the Auto Switch and the Foot Switch. The Auto-Off Delay works really well when on Auto. You can adjust it anywhere from an immediate shut off to a long delay.

Again, the person who designed this pedal did an incredible job.

The sound, well, that is always subjective. When I first plugged it in, I wasn't happy. It sounded too much like a thin, high-pitched, guitar. The moment I switched the Frequency to Low and added the deep lows with the Lo knob, I got a huge grin on my face. I really like it. I even had to cut the lows [and lower the sweep range!] a bit for my taste.

Here's from the manual on the Lo knob:

"Adjusts the low-frequency range. Conventional wah pedals use a Band Pass Filter which cuts the low- and high-frequency ranges. However, if you turn Lo clockwise, the effect will act as a Low Pass Filter which allows the low-frequency range to remain without being cut, producing a fatter sound."

I'm still going to check out the Earthquake Wah, but the Demon is a keeper. No doubt about it. I'm actually considering buying a second one and hooking both up right next to each other to keep one on the Auto switch and one on the Manual.

http://www.ibanez.com/accessories/spec.asp?m=102&z=y

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    That sounds like one cool pedal. Thanks much for the review. I know a lot of us were curious......

5. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    You're welcome.

Here's something else [important] from the manual:

"Since the pedal uses an optical sensor rather than a potentiometer, it is noise free and maintenance free. When the effect is off, the signal goes through a true bypass."

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I tried it and have been less than impressed. A great guitar box for sure, not so with a bass.

7. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    nice! any chance of posting some samples? im interested to see exactly what kind of sounds this thing can generate.

8. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Kelly Lee said in another thread that he's going to make some samples.

But I think that the only way to really know if it will serve your purpose is to try it yourself, with your bass and your amp. People have different ideas of what an effect should do. Our frog eating friend doesn't like it. I really do. Most people seem to use either the white Crybaby or the blue Morley. I don't like either. They don't do enough for me.

My intention was to find a Wah that's great for solos. If you want to do your best guitar shredder impression in front of the stage, while your guitar playing pet plays rhythm (!), then I believe this pedal will do the job. It is intense, expressive, and will cut through the mix. Steve Vai or Stevie Ray Vaughan, take your pick.

I tried it with a 4-string and a 7-string and I'm happy, although I won't be able to fully test it (band setting) for a while.

For people interested if this pedal will be good for a more subtle, rhythmic, background, quacking in a funk setting, I haven't looked for that sound, but the settings here really make a lot of difference.

There is no question that this is a great pedal. As far as satisfying someone else's taste or need, I can't answer that.

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    im not looking for your run of the mill wah effects from this thing either. i want to hear some strange 'weeping bass' effects, perhaps something like what you could get out of a digitech whammy tuned for bass.

10. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    This thing weeps, cries, shrieks, and screams.

If you just want a Wah for low-frequency quacking, that's what the Crybaby is for. I actually remembered last night in my sleep why I stopped using the (Original) Crybaby 2 or 3 years ago. It wasn't because I overused it. It was because it just got boring. It wasn't expressive enough, so I ditched it.

You have to understand that I use a Wah like a lead guitar player would. For me, this Demon Wah is fantastic. The more I play it, the more I like it. It is terrific for high-register soloing.

I had the privilege of playing with the Snarling Dogs Bawl Buster yesterday, when a kid I teach on and off brought it along with his blue Morley. I find the new Morley to be "bland" and the Snarling Dogs the worst sounding thing I ever heard in my life.

I inquired about the Automagic Earthquake Wah and was told that they have a new version (with an upgraded activator) coming out in about a month and that they'll have sound samples on their site. I'll definitely check that out. Hopefully, it will add some (high-quality) contrast to the Demon.

You can't really compare a stand-alone Wah pedal with a multi-effect unit like the DigiTech Whammy.

11. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Somebody lemme know if/when somebody does samples of this thing...I'm interested in it.

12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I will try to get some samples recorded tonight.