Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez with an odd "rumble"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Sep 26, 2005.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    One of my co-workers is a kick-butt player, but is GAS free and has never done his own setups. He's one of those technically excellent players that doesn't dwell on the hardware.

I stopped by his place Saturday to do a basic setup on his only bass, an older Ibanez P-J with active tone. All went well except for a persistent rumble in the electronics I can't find. It has a brand new battery, and we tried several.

It doesn't appear to be a grounding issue. It was only affecting the J pickup at first, then I cleaned the pan pot and it started affecting the P pickup instead. I cleaned it a second time, and it was back to the J pickup.

I tried checking for loose connections on the board, and the best I could do was induce more rumble when I touched two capacitors (by adding hand capacitance).

Any ideas? A new bass isn't in the cards for him right now, and he's trying to start gigging again after a marriage and baby break.

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Is the board fine? I mean, it's not fried is it? If you really cannot find a problem, or if the prblem is big, you don't need a new bass, just a new preamp/electronic assembly.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

A word is a word and not a sound but "rumble" doens't sound like any issue I've heard coming out of a bass but an issue coming out of rigging. Perhaps a wierd vibration (loose hardware, string grazing, whatever) and I only mention that cause I'd probably forget it in the future.

But do you know "for a fact" the bass is the source?

Have you played another bass through that rig and the bass in question through another rig ?

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It's definitely in the bass - you can pan the rumble from pickup to pickup (one is quieter than the other).

I think there's a bad component on the board.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

if it moves from pup to pup, you can be fairly certain the pups are not an issue. No very comforting but something. Preamps 10 years old or so I've heard of going bad. If the bass was fine before and nothing's been changed, may well be in the pre. You can drop another pre in and very the pre is the source.

The main thing is too make sure it's in the bass. I would definetly check the bass in a different location and through different rigging. There may be something wierd in the locale or rigging that sets it off.

6. Caps, especially electrolytics can go bad over time...if there are any on there, they could be an issue...I can't see the board (no pics) so I don't know how easy they would be to replace...

care needs to be taken with electrolytics as they have a polarity. electrolytics can be easily identified because they look like little aluminium cans.

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the ideas!