Ibanez with luthite body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gingerfish, Oct 29, 2004.

1. i was looking at a ibanez ergodyne 605 and saw that it had the luthite body, some sort of composite material and was wondering if this had a majour effect on the sound? and can it take knocks? also opinions on this bass in general?
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The EDB series is HORRID. The tone is horrible, the body smells and is heavy as hell, and did I mention they sound horrid?
  3. One of of my friends has a edb. If I am not wrong...last time i played it, it has a dark sound....not bright...man....i can't find the words to describe it...it just doesn't sound like wood. Personally i don't really like it.
  4. Hmmm...

A long term friend, bass player had and gigged a Luthite EDA 900 ($595 street price). At first, he dug the sound and one of his soundmen (at a high profile gig) liked it as well.

However, after he bought one of these ($390 street price)

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=333 (musicyo.com fake 'Tobias' Toby Deluxe 5)

... he, his band, and my bandmembers cannot believe how much better he sounds in the venues now. Less money and real wood. Then again, they say 'tone is in the fingers'. I say it's a combination of both (fingers and what's under them).
  5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The EDA's are decent.
  6. Not EDB though...

I like the fast neck though....
  7. Hey guys - have owned a eda905 and I think they are absolute rubbish IMHO.Just had a custom 5 string made out of Australian blackheart sassafras(very heavy),maccassar ebony board and bart pre and pickups.The point Im making is this bass sounds like a MONSTER.Wood is the only way to go.
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Never heard a complaint about the EDC700 series more serious than "it smells". In fact, almost every review I've read (and I gassed over these for my entire first year of playing, so I've read a lot) had a whole slew of compliments. Not really a fan of the EDB's though. Played one...*shrug*
  9. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Trash. I think they sound like a cheesy 80's preset on a keyboard. A serious downside to Luthite: if it gets cold, it shatters on impact. There was a TB'r a year or so ago that dropped his bass when the peg or something broke, and from a 3 ft fall, the bass broke into several chunks. Playing in teh garage in the winter isn't recommended anyway...

10. My bass broke and it won't get up! :crying:
  11. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    I dunno, I played a fretless EDA once, it was pure sex. Beat the pants off a 'Vette fretless. Actually, it was probably the best fretless I've ever played, period.
  12. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    OK, first, the EDB is the redheaded stepchild of the ergodyne line. An EDA or EDC is much better. EDC's have been discontinued and they've been blowing them out for around $400 (like $600 before). The EDA is an interesting animal. The piezos are the main defining feature. Finnicky is the only word I can think of to describe them. The piezos make your sound much more defined and chords sound great. Unfortunately it will also punish harshly any sloppiness in your physical technique. It also brings out more the clank of the string hitting the fret. The main reason I think the fretless version is much more praised than the fretted.

Thing is though my had EDA had some serious quality issues with the piezo system (2 of them broke). I sent the bass off to Ibanez for repair and got it back in 2 pieces :mad: . The whole neck joint and upper horn had broken off from the body! I've heard stories of luthite basses shattering like glass when dropped. Screw 'em.
  13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Apparently the luthite stuff is designed for super long sustain, but the tone just ain't there. It's pretty cold, methinks.

It's also not the sturdiest stuff out there. I was actually bending the neck pocket while I was playing one, causing it to fret out! Ugh!
  14. Something about the designed maybe flawed, coz the sustain just isnt there.

I played the EDA, EDB & EDC when i was looking to buy my first serious bass, both the 4 & 5.

-Sloppy B Strings on the 5'ers
    -weak electronics
    -didnt like the looks at all(but that is subjective)
    -cold and sterile

Paying special attention to the last comment, i play a Spector /w EMG into a Gallien-Krueger Combo which others find to be stertile, so for me to call that line sterile.. well..

See if you can swing for a BTB.
    In my opinion the best series' of basses on the Ibanez lineup.
    I own a BTB406...

happy hunting :)