Ibanez with Nordstrands or Ibanez with Bartolinis?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Persona87, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Persona87

Persona87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    When I get my tax return this year, I'm thinking that I'll put some of the money aside towards an Ibanez BTB bass. I have a five string already, so I was thinking that either a six string or a fiver with a high C would be the way to go. They make some in the $900-1000 range with Bartolini pickups and some in the $1500 range with Nordstrand pickups. I'm not too familiar with either one so I wanted to get some opinions or information on these two types of pickups and how they compare. I've always been more of a P bass or MusicMan guy so I don't have much experience with soapbars or single coils. For what it's worth, the Barts are BH1s and the Nordys are Big Singles.

2. CoarseBass

CoarseBass

Dec 28, 2002
    The $1k Barts are not the same barts builders like Roscoe use, or you'd find on the aftermarket. They're not bad, but in my mind they're a great example of why some people don't like humbuckers in basses...kind of lifeless.

I highly recommend the premium basses with big singles. Great basses, great pickups, and the preamp is actually decent, too.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Of course once you get to the $1500 range you can get a Roscoe with real Barts!

4. I just got the SR1400TE w/the big singles and really like it but don't have any experience to share with the Barts.I got mine from GC and it seems like they run 15%off specials fairly often,I got mine w/a 17%off discount.With a 15% discount one of the bolt on neck SR premiums would be down to around $1000

5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Then, why are so many Roscoe Barts showing up in the Classifieds. Better to buy what sounds good to you, instead of having to swap out the p'ups on top of it.
    Or, just get a less expensive, but well -built bass, and figure-in a p'up swap.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

What's that supposed to mean? You'll see 5 sets of Nordstrands for sale for every 1 set of Roscoe Barts. Does that mean that Nordstrands are crap? No. Don't be foolish.

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Well, there's more Nords than Roscoe Barts, not that there's anything wrong with either of them.

8. I've been wondering about this lately. Cant decide between a newer nordstrand version or an old prestige with barts.

Had a sr605 with mk1's and sounded like mud, quickly sold it. Also had a not so old prestige and it sounded better but not good enough to keep.

've hears good thing about the old custom pickups pre-MK5's. I wonder how much they differ in sound....