Ibanez... yea or nay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jalepina, Mar 10, 2002.

1. jalepina

jalepina Guest

Mar 6, 2002
    SW Colorado
    Just wanted your thoughts on Ibanez basses.

I've played on several Ibanez models. No complaints from me! They're affordable.. and sure I'd love to spend $2000 or more on a bass, but I just can't do that. It seems everyone here is down on Ibanez, wondering why.
  2. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX

I have a SR800, and now I am really pissed that I bought it. The action makes it impossible to tap, no matter how hard you try. The volume and tone pots make
    scratchy noises when you turn them. The tone pot makes kind of a phase and wah noise when turned.. The bottom of the volume pot has become disconnected
    from the body so when you turn it, it doesn't change the volume, it just turns the pot. The wood is very very soft and can be easily scratched with your fingernail.
    They make good guitars, but don't I think that their basses are worth the money.
  3. Eh, not really a Yay or a Nay.

I just bought a used SR800 off Ebay because it was cheap ($350.00). I had been borrowing a friend's, and it was decent, so I got my own. My guesses why people here are down on them are:

a) they don't retain resale value. Like Zon Bass was saying, he had a lot of problems with his. Mine doesn't have anything like that (yet, we'll see what happens after I give it some heavy use). I see them all the time on Ebay, and they almost always go for less than half of the retail price.

b) they're made in Japan and Korea. I think USA-made basses are still preferred over Asian-made stuff, at least by the Americans (but that's for another thread).

c) a lot of the members here prefer high-end and custom basses (and are more willing to spend that much money on a bass than you or I).

d) some of the people here are pros and can afford the better basses.

e) I'll leave it to some others to fill in this blank.

Anyway, I'm alright with my Ibanez. When I get the money, I'll go after something better, but Ibanez will do for now.
  4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Ibanez basses aren't bad, but they aren't great. The preamps aren't the greatest preamps.

I used to love my SR800LE, but now that I have my MM, it just sounds very bland.
  5. xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    I own the edc705 which a lot of people around here hate, but I find it good for my playing style. It all depends on your style, they are good for the price is the bottom line. But don't go through down the money for a new one, go used on the Ibanezes. Trust me.
  6. I used to say " Yay !!!! ", but ever since i got my yamaha, i say " nay ! ".

And when i get my Warwick in June.. i will SHOUT " nay !!!!!!! " :D
  7. jalepina

jalepina Guest

Mar 6, 2002
    SW Colorado
    Thanks for your input, guys! I'm understanding!

I started on an Ibanez GSR 205...generic CRAP. No pre-amp, and the pickups are horrible. I see on Musician's Friend the list price for a this bass (5 string) would be $459.99 with a selling price of $339.99. I got swindled by the sales guy and paid $450 for mine.

I've been learning so much on this site, and planned on upgrading with an American bass...

Last night on Musician's Friend, I found an Ibanez SR405, (list price of $699.99, priced at $519.99)... but the translucent purple was only $299.99. Kind of works since I'm a chick. :) So I went for it. Much better pickups and I think it will work for me.

PLEASE keep the comments coming! Very imformative.
  8. I play the SR405, and think it is a decent bass. I also have a Dean Edge Q5, and not only do I like it better, it was cheaper.

For your price range, look at the Dean Razor NT or NT5. They are neck through, quilted maple top, EMG's, Dean 3D pre-amp. The 4 string can be had for $450, and the 5 string for around $575-$599.
  9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you will find that on some ibanez basses, the unamplifed tone sounds really great...at least, with a good setup and a fresh set of strings. when plugged in, however, they usually sound like dogs. the best thing you can do is get a new preamp and pickups. i was pretty close to getting a used ibanez sr 3006 that had been fitted with a bart preamp and pickups. really sounded awesome. the string spacing is just a little tight for me, though...
  10. i think that the best bass Ibanez is selling is the BTB model.

The newer ones have Bartolini pickup/preamp combos. Which is really an improvement! But the old pickups and preamps on the BTBs are still very good.

The SR-3004(5 and 6) are the best Soundgear bass. It also has the Bartolinis. String spacing is narrower, however.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Ibanez BTB series are fantastic basses. They have a good tone, especially the new ones with Bartolini electronics. My BTB is an older model 6 string, sounds great, and the action is perfect. They are very good basses for the money.:)
  12. Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    the only basses that i find even remotely worthwhile from ibanez are their BTB and EDA lines (note: eda's are very limited imo). I'll stand behind the BTB's though, they're damn good basses compared to most of what's out there in it's 405 and 400 model price ranges, I'd even go on to say they're better than some of the high end basses out there. I wouldn't go up to any higher models though because that's when they loose their luster. Don't get me worng here, they don't go bad in quality....but price vs improvement just doesn't add up.

Point blank, BTBs are good if you're gonna spend little under $630 for a bass.....if you're spending $800+ don't go Ibanez. SR's, even the higher models suck, i hate the thin necks, tone and fragile feel. The other's (edc, edb, etc) are not that good to me, and the BTB line doesn't really change in quality with the higher models.

only my opinions, judge for yourself. :)
  13. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    ive been playing ibanez basses of some sort or another for the past 5 years. first was an SR800A. loved that bass, still do. it was great for funkin around. easy to play. the neck did have some problems, but as soon as i put lighter gauge strings back on it it was fine. electronics finally gave out though, so right now its a "project" waiting to happen. im thinkin EMG. i currently play a usa ATK 5, as a complement to my LB75. the ATK is a great bass, shame they dont import them into the usa anymore, or make em here for that matter. it really is close to a stingray in sound, and playability. and it looks great. like any manufacturere the cheaper ibanez basses leave somethignto be desired in both construction and sound. but the higher end basses (SR3000, BTB1000 and the usa atks) are without a doubt very respectable instruments.

BTW i think that your 405 is a good choice, ive played several and liked them for the price. best of luck to ye.
  14. I dont like the soundgears or those lucites (plastic basses, ugggh...) but I love the BTBs and ATKs!
  15. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    allodox= bass whore!!
  16. I have the EDC700 and it is a nice bass but I will be
    throwing in an aftermarket preamp(and perhaps pups) in the future.Since I won the bass in an online contest I really don`t have a prob with dropping money into it.If I had bought the bass new,that would be a differant matter.As for comfort and weight the Ergo is pretty hard to beat.

Not a bad bass...just that you can get better bass for the buck IMHO.

Hope this helps.
  17. ey soldiah boy.. sucky sucky ? 15 dollah.. :D
  18. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

Yeah, for sure.

Ibanez makes killer basses.
    They make crappy ones also, but the BTB series, the EDA, the EDC, the ATK, the SDGR series are all killer.

Def good enough for your first five years or so of playing.
  19. jalepina

jalepina Guest

Mar 6, 2002
    SW Colorado
    not that anyone cares... ;)

I got my SR405... and I think it's great. Maybe someday I can get a better bass, like when I'm rich and famous. For now, I'm an Ibanez girl, all the way.