Ibannez Ergodyne. Any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ultramangeos, Aug 24, 2001.

1. I am looking for an upgrade from my $300 Fender MIM P-Bass. I am looking at the Ibanez EDC-705. This is the Ergodyne 5 string. Any body have any info on that one? Playability, Sound, etc...:confused:
  2. Staci

Dec 11, 1999
    I have owned 2 of them. the first one I hated. It had dead spots all over the neck

However the one I own now is great. It has only 2 questionable places on it. Other than that it is a great sounding bass.

It has a lot of punch.
  3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    You could get a MIA for around $450-500. Or you could upgrade your mim with new pickups, hardware...
  4. The Ergodyne series is very comfortable to play, as you would expect. I've played the model with the piezo bridge, and was quite impressed. A good range of tones, lots of punch from 18v electrics, a floppy B, which would improve with the addition of a set of SR2000's, but the only real drawback, well two really, is the smell of petrol when you open up the case, and the alien, futuristic appearance. But then I'm a bit of an old dog to be learning new tricks!
  5. hey man.. you rule !

the EDC705 is the best f#cking bass ever built !
    it has a lot of lows & mids in it, just the way i like it.
    the balance is superior, and the curved backside of the body fits like a glove on your belly.

I own one for about 2 months now, and i totally 100 % love it. so far there's only 1 downside that i noticed..if all EQ settings are in " neutral " position ( middle ), the output is very low ( volume ). but if you boost the mids and highs only a fraction ( 5 % ), the volume will increase.

about the smell.. if your ErgoDyne is brand new,l eave it out of the case for a day or so, and keep the case open.. the smell will go away.

my advice : go for it !
  6. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    I acutally just got back from playing one of those....it was really light weight......and it kind of conformed to your body whether you were sitting or standing......it sounds great and me personaly i thought it looked pretty cool:D
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000

the ibanez ergodyne the best bass ever made!?!? don't you think you are a little bit exagerating?!? or are you that guy in the new ibanez ad? :eek:
  8. No, really.. the EDC is the best !!

- allodox -
    faithfull Ibanez endorser

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I was also thinking of selling my soul and getting an ibanez. i also own a p-bass. im thinking of getting a ....lets see......The first Ergodyne design that came out. not the REAL crazy looking ones. i think there the edb series. i might go try one today. Could i get the same bitey mids i get with my p?
  10. yes you can :)

" from fieldy to fender, with the flip of a switch "
    i believe someone once said ? :D
  11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I honestly think a MIA Fender would be a way better choice. Most Ibanez basses have weak EQ's. The BTB's I played I couldn't even find out which was which. I kept playing with each knob (like I usually do) and all I could find was what the volume was. Each one had the same affect on the sound.

I suspect the Ergodyne's would be the same... Then again, the only Ibanez I like is the one I have. SR800LE. :)
  12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    My BTB, and any other I've tried, doesn't seem to have that problem, Crawling Eye. Maybe it's a problem with the user, and not the bass? ;)
  13. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Hello everyone, i'm PortraitofTracy, and i can't operate an Ibanez... [voices in background] there, there...[voices off]
  14. I think the that Ergodyne is an awesome bass for the price. I have the EDB series 4 string, and it is fantastic. I sits perfectly, is lightweight and sounds good. If the EDC series is anything like it, i would say to you "buy it".
  15. well, that's we have manuals.. so people can do RTFM... ;)

but, since i'm not 100 % *******... here you go :

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I've tried quite a few BTB's. And never have I ever had that problem with a bass before.

Replying to Angus saying "Maybe it's the user?".
    Most likely not, considering there were quite a few people with me trying to figure the same thing out.

I've played many basses, and more than 3/4 of them are active. I've never had that problem before. Usually takes me 2 minutes tops to figure it out. I fiddled with that bass for an hour and couldn't figure it out. I just think it has a weak EQ.

Perhaps the Ergodyne's different? I've never played one through an amp. It sounded decent unplugged... Although, it weighed a ton.

I think it'd be more logical though, to check out a MIA P-bass... (Mind you, I'm under the assumption the MIM p-bass you have wasn't your first, and you like the sound of it)
  17. maybe because you're not used to sweepable mids ?
  18. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    maybe it's all a matter of ears, hands, feelings. but the ibanez ergodyne sounds to me like a really interesting marketing operation: build a really good bass in the cheapest way but letting go out only the innovations aspect and not the "cut the corners" aspects. the bass is a good bass but here my point of view: they use a material that is for sure cheap than a cheap wood. i say this beacuse i'm an industrial designer with a master in ergonomy and human factors. i know that these materials could be really cheap. pickup are not so great, but good for the price and the electronic is better than the pickups. sweepable mids works fine. the thing is that the new design sounds a little bit futuristic and this is the market appeal of the bass. and the intent is to show as obsolete classical designs in bass. in ergonomy, the real trouble on electric orizontal stringed instruments is in the left hand, much more than in the right one. they say that the ergonomy is in the wave that is a thumbrest for the right hand. nothing more than the pickguard of a classic fender jazz design. the upper frets accessibility for me is not better than a jazz, it's the same. i hope that people think that an object is ergonomic not for its name but for its real ergonomic values. obviously this is my personal idea on this bass and i speak after a couple of hours playing one of these basses rented by a friend (hi alfredo). my opinion is that this is a good bass for the money, not the best .
  19. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I have an EDB-605 and I like it a lot. It sounds good, plays good, looks good, and wasnt too expensive. It seems to be built pretty well. I agree with Crawlingeye in that the treble knob is a little weak, but not too bad. All the other EQ knobs seem to have a stronger effect. The B string is a little floppy and doesnt sound as good a higher end 5 string might but its not bad at all. I had it set up at a guitar shop and that made a huge difference in the way it played and sounded. Unfortunately, I have to sell it because I am gonna get a ric. If anyones interested in it let me know.
  20. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I own a EDB400 and I love it. I've played the Ergodyne's and I've liked them, and I love the Ibanez BTB's too. Never got into the soundgears though. I'd say go for it.

Anyone know anything about the EDB400 series? I got mine used (In perfect condition) through my friend's guitar teacher who needed the extra money, so I have no clue, I've never seen the 400's for sale anywhere in mag's or at stores, or even on Ibanez's site.