1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibby BTB vs. ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ksguiler, Aug 6, 2012.

1. ksguiler

ksguiler

Aug 6, 2012
    Kansas
    Ok everyone...

I'm getting back into bass. I've been out of the game for about 7 years now. I quit after high school to go on an adventure. Now I'm back to it...

My question is... What basses are close in quality/sound/versatility to the Ibanez BTB776? I'm looking at about a $1K purchase for my new bass and I've seen some nice ones out there but I'm not quite sure anymore. I''ve been gone for so long and the basses have changed from what I was playing back then. I have played 4s, 5s, and 6s and I love the 6 strings.

Any help would be awesome. I'm very interested in Warwicks... but as everyone knows... they are $$$. So that baby will have to wait for a while.

Thanks in advance
    Kevin

2. A little bit more, but I find the Musicman Sterling to be a very versatile bass.

3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Well why don't you buy another BTB? The new Ibby BTB 676M is a great bass! :)

4. Indeed... Or the 776 which is going to come in at less than a grand itself. I'm personally gassing for one since playing it side by side with an MTD KZ6 which had been the object of my desire for some time...

IMO you can't get close without spending double.

5. stcy_dhl

stcy_dhl

May 22, 2011
    St. Cloud, FL
    Just gotta say that I love the versatility of my BTB776. Plays smooth, great tone.

image-4041927028.

6. American Peavey Cirrus(?)

G.

7. ksguiler

ksguiler

Aug 6, 2012
    Kansas
    You guys have been awesome! I agree that to get a bass of equal standards I'd be stuck paying about $2000... so I have been stuck on the 776 for about 3 months now. i have looked at the Peaveys... not a big fan of the looks... but I haven't played one. i have played the 676M so i can relate a little to the 776... although I'm thinking there may be some differences? or is it strictly hardware and the amber sunburst finish?

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Get a Carvin, I recently got an LB76 to replace my BTB 676 and it blows it out of the water, especially in the weight department. I built my Carvin out of swamp ash, so it weighs around 8-9 lbs vs the btb at 12-13lbs.

The Ibanez B string is pretty good compared to most, but Carvin's B string is world class, the Ibanez doesn't even hold a candle.

Truthfully though, in the $1000 price range, a BTB is a pretty good option, the biggest flaw with mine was the weight. You can get a Carvin for that price, but who orders a Carvin without getting some special personal things added to the build.

9. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    The BTB is awesome for a 6 and a great value. You would be hard-pressed to find something better for the money; Carvin could definitely be a good route too.

10. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Those BTBs are very nice basses and, based on the few times I've played them, the string spacing isn't as narrow as the Peaveys or the Carvins (also great basses). I tend to like wider necks, so that really impressed me, but YMMV.

In that price range, the BTBs are a really, really good bet.

11. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Nope, the difference is in typs of woods :) The BTB 776 has a mahogany body, 5 piece maple / bubinga neck and rosewood fretboard.

The BTB 676M has a ash body, 5 piece maple / bubinga neck (like most BTB's) and a Maple fretboard.

12. ksguiler

ksguiler

Aug 6, 2012
    Kansas
    DiabolusInMusic - the weight is not an issue, for ME. Also, I have looked at Carvin's... I have to say... WOW they are just amazing! BUT the price is the issue... I have about a $1000 price point I'm trying to stay under... the wife is telling me that i shouldn't spend more than $700, but I haven't found a 6 for that price... at least one that isn't shot...

Mr_Music90 - Thanks for the info about the woods. I was initially looking and the SR506M. My wife is very happy about the 506M only due to the price point it has. I was not very impressed by it, although I have read some decent reviews about it. BUT I haven't played it, so I'm skeptical... however, I am not afraid to just buy a 6er and go from there. thats what I did with my first bass... an RBX260... great first bass for me. I was only 10, I think. I played the hell outta that thing! When I was young I was very in to Jazz and Blues... then I heard hard rock... I was instantly hooked. I loved the heavy bass lines of Pantera and such. I later fell into Incubus and Mudvayne. Dirk Lance and Ryan Martinie are some of my favorite bassists. Ken Benny (who replaced Dirk Lance in early 2000's) is a great funk bassists but he definitely changed Incubus' sound. Anyways BOT... I am leaning towards the 676M now because of the wife's pleas. So... having said that... is $7-800 a pretty decent deal or should I head to eBay and shop around?

I am open to just about any option of 6er... I noticed an earlier post about getting ANOTHER BTB but i actually currently don't have ANY basses. I have been away from the scene for sometime due to the Army and deployments, but I want back in. I miss getting lost in music and relaxing playing along with songs and learning new stuff. On that note... I DO NOT play by tabs.... I play by EAR. I cant stand tabs..... ugh... it takes away from the experience... IMO

13. ksguiler

ksguiler

Aug 6, 2012
    Kansas
    Ok I've been looking and looking and looking.... I think I'll have to take a hit and start out with something a little cheaper now... I'm being harassed by the money manager haha. Now I'm looking in the $5-600 range... ugh... sometimes wives are just unwanted. Are there BTBs in that price range? I know for a fact that the only 6er that I can find for that price is an Ibby GSR...

Unless some one has a decent 6er they are willing to part with for that price range....

14. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Check out the used section at Guitar Center, they usually have a good selection of BTB's.

15. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    No thanks. Yes the BTB's all have a good price / quality ratio :) You will like the BTB 676M :) It has a smooth and warm sound. Just look a little bit on Ebay and so, perhaps you'll find something :)

I'll be looking around too for ya, so if I spot anything, I will let you now ASAP!! :p

16. ksguiler

ksguiler

Aug 6, 2012
    Kansas
    Mr_Music90 - I appreciate that! :D You know, this site has been a saving grace for me lol. Everyone on this site has been stellar. To be brutally honest... which I may regret... I have run into a new situation that has me all jittery inside. I have found a Warwick that is in my price range... I have talked with a member on here about it and it is DEFINITELY a STARTER bass but it's a Warwick... so I'm extremely tempted. It's the Corvette $$ Rockbass BASIC 5er. It sells new for $575USD and I know its not up to the traditional Warwick standard BUT it can't be THAT bad... I mean it does have the Warwick name....

Feedback on this???
    Thanks everyone!!!
    Kevin

17. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I can't really tell you anything about those cheaper Warwicks, but perhaps you could buy a Schecter Stiletto Custom 6. Price is $600 dollar new @ Musiciansfriend. The sound is very ''snappy'' and has a fast response due to the mahogany body and EMG hz pick ups. Further more the Stiletto 6 has a nice comfortable neck and plays like butter. So all with all sound is clean but yet it has some warmth in it :) You could try one of those!

18. ksguiler

ksguiler

Aug 6, 2012
    Kansas
    Thanks for that info... I'm currently in Afghanistan so I'm strictly SEARCHING and RESEARCHING. I'll play as many of these as I can at the Kansas City GC when I get home. From what I have read on websites and reviews about the cheap 'Wicks is that they have a lot of the same features that the Prolines have buuuut are made with cheaper woods and made in China (eek). So that's why I started this thread... to get as much info on basses of similar stature so I can try them all out when I get home. I'm not dead set on one particular bass... just yet. However, I am a huge Warwick fan... considering most of my inspriation to be a bassist came from those who play them.

Thanks again!

19. ksguiler, I've heard mixed things about the Warwick Rockbass line-up. A lot of people hate them and some people like them a lot.

I'm shopping around for a bass too, due to money problems of my own, I'm saving every nickel and dime I can to buy something with the most bang for the buck. So we're in similar situations, except it's my wallet and not my wife dictating terms to me.

Other than the aforementioned Schecter Stilletto, I saw a couple of other options that might interest you:
    1) ESP D-6
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/esp-ltd-d-6-6-string-bass-guitar

2) ESP B-206
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/esp-ltd-b-206sm-6-string-bass

With regard to the B206, they had a couple of models a little higher in the hierarchy. One of those was the B406. Unfortunately, I can't find them online, but they seem to be pretty nice basses. 35" scale, good woods, neck through. Remembering reading somewhere that the better ones start with number higher than 2xx. But a lot of people say a lot of crap on the internet. And TBers have established there's no best bass for anything, so...

The D-6 is also pretty nice construction wise, though pickups might not be so good out of the box. Only 34" scale, but neck-through.

Pick something with good woods and decent hardware. You can always upgrade electronics later.

Happy hunting! When I first read your message, I thought an adventure meant going to jail! :p

- Jimmy

20. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed

Jun 5, 2006
    i got a btb575 off ebay for $340 shipped. you might find a deal like that if you are patient. its nice, the neck is kinda wide for me, but other than that its pretty good for made in indonesia. i'm sure its cnc'd so it doesn't really matter where the factory is. i did have to solder 1 wire cause it had a cold joint and the bridge p'up cut in and out.