1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibby SR300 G String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by msh26, Apr 3, 2013.

1. msh26

msh26

Aug 4, 2012
    Noob here, I have been learning to play on my new Ibanez SR300 with the stock strings. Please forgive, but my G string sounds so tinny and unlike other songs players that I practice to. Is this normal for this bass or should I look at some new strings that give more bottom end to the G string?

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Changing strings is one of the first things to change to see if it keeps happening since strings are relatively cheap. Before that though, look up the Ibanez specs on their web page and check how far the strings should be from the pickups. If the pickup is too far away from the string, it will sound thin.

Also I'd make sure the string is making a solid break over the bridge saddle and nut as well.

If the issue persists with new strings, it might be a result of just lower quality pickups.

3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    And, though it sounds silly, especially if you are new to bass you might not have thought of it, but play those notes further up on the D string instead of on the G. It usually sounds better, fuller, less tinny, and was probably how the guys you are listening to did it as well.

I'd rather climb the neck a little than play anything below the 5th fret on the G.

4. msh26

msh26

Aug 4, 2012
    Thanks guys. Good suggestions! :hyper: :bassist:

5. dhuff8870

dhuff8870

Nov 15, 2012
    Youngstown, OH
    I have the same bass and mine is the same. I think it's caused by the not-so-great pickups. I love the bass but I think I'm going to look into upgrading at least the bridge p'up.

6. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Lots of great pickups to try with these basses. Get some US Barts or Nordies

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Could be badly adjusted pups. Bridge pup to close to strings compared to neck pup resulting in its sound skewed toward bridge while other strings are with better balance for pup heits relative to them.

8. That's how an Ibby SR sounds - they do have a bright high end, and deep low end. You could try a set of D'Add XL160 having a .050 G (50/70/85/105) or go with coated strings like Elixir nano (stock). D'Add also make HalfRounds, but that will mellow down the whole thing.

You could also just turn the treble down on the bass or amp.

9. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Have you tried what I said, playing those lines higher on the bass?

When I am playing melody-type stuff I don't go low on the G. I use it much more often for grabbing an octave of a note/line I am playing on the E or A. It is the way I play on any bass I've used but it does seem to give me fatter results all around compared to fretting lower frets on the G.

Higher up the strings all seemed to be more even on the SR I just had.

10. dhuff8870

dhuff8870

Nov 15, 2012
    Youngstown, OH
    Thanks I will definitely check those out. Are they hard to install?

11. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I have an SR305. I don't know if the pickups are the same as on the 4 string or not, but I would not call the G string tinny at all.

My first guess as to the root cause of the problem is technique. If you are beginning (hard to tell from your post, but it seems to be that way), your sound will improve a great deal as you develop skill. You can't expect to sound in a few months or a year like an experienced player with 5 or 10 years experience, even playing the same equipment. Further, if you are listening to recordings, please be aware that a lot of those sounds are modified in the studio.

My second guess is that the setup on your instrument is not optimal. Ibanez basses ship with a good factory setup, but it still would be worth investing $40 and getting it set up professionally for peace of mind, if nothing else.

Third guess is strings, although I think the 300 series comes with D'Addario EXL170 Nickels, which are a good string unless it's been subject to abuse hanging in a store and needs replacement.