Ibenez EDB 5 string - string spacing/4 vs. 5 (yes, again)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    So I play an Ibenez Ergodyne 5 string - It is the first and only bass I have ever known ...and my neighborhood guitar store doesn't have much going on for basses - so I don't have anything to compare mine to. Lately I've been wondering if I wouldn't be happier with a bass with wider string spacing, or if my string spacing is normal and fine. Can anybody tell me if this model has relatively narow spacing at the bridge or is it fairly wide?Also - if my string spacing IS considered narow, as I suspect, would it maybe be all the better for a beginer to practice with, because it is harder for me?

I also wonder from time to time if maybe a four string wouldn't have a place in my life - again my ergo 5 is the only one to me. I know this has been discussed, but I'm a guy who has never played a four string. I'm guessing that certain pieces would be easier on a four - so along the same lines as the questions above - would that just be all the more reason to play it on the five?

I love my bass, but I'm starting to undrstand the need for more than one. I'm sure some of you understand;) sorry if this should have been two seperate posts.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There's always a tradeoff between left hand comfort and right hand comfort when it comes to string spacing. A lot of people describe basses that feature "normal" 19mm string spacing in a 5-string or 6-string format as aircraft carriers. They're not far off. If you've got the proper left hand technique to handle a neck that wide, go for it. If your technique is less than perfect or your hands are less than normal size, I'd hold off; otherwise, you'll just hurt yourself.

I think the spacing on the Ergodynes is fine. Concentrate on muting and clean technique.
  3. i myself do a lot of slap/popping stuff and my hands are rather large so i prefer very large spacing. i played the EDB605 and just simply could fit my fingers in the space between the d and g string enough to slap and pop fast. but in answer to your question i think it is just whatever you feel comfortable with.