ibook vs powerbook?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Davehenning, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

I am looking to purchase a laptop for recording and I have narrowed it down to either the iBook or the Powerbook. I already have a G3 tower for home recording, but I do not know enough about the mac laptops. Any advice?

And what is the situation with the audio-inputs?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. mini jack stereo is the only thing onboard for input. you can use a Firewire or USB interface though with no problems.

If you can afford the powerbook, go for it over the iBook, purely for the G4 altivec and the larger screen size. iBooks are great machines too, but I found the screen to be too small for apps that have a lot of windows open ... plus I have a G4/800 and it smokes :)

Have fun.
  3. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    thanks for the info. I was messing around with the 60GB powerbook today......sweeeet.

Some more opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

4. jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    The iBooks are G3 based machines while the Powerbooks are G4's. You'll see a BIG processing jump going to the G4. Of course you pay out the nose for it. Also The power books have 2 firewire ports while the ibooks have 1.
    Check out the 17" Powerbook Apple just introduced. It's rediculously expensive but it's a cool machine.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Everything you'll ever need for external audio processing ;)
    check out the Omni Studio and the Sonica theater...they also make GREAT midi controllers and converters.
    also the MOTU 828 is essential for serious laptop recording

That said...I'm getting a tibook next week(1ghz w/ super drive) I'm getting it to replace a desktop, so I need the extra power. But if you want a GREAT deal, get an iBook...they are currently the best value from Apple(maybe the 12 inch powerbook as well) in terms of price/performance ratio. your going to want more HD space but that can be done easily enough with an external firewire drive.
  6. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the info and the link.

I am leaning towards the Ti-Book with the 60GB superdrive as well. I just wish that apple would let the customer configure the book. I do not have any real need for a DVD-burner.

I am not sure if it is as roadworthy as the iBook though, but then again, I should probably just be more careful with it............: )

thanks again