1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ID a Peavey Cirrus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wvbass, Aug 8, 2012.

1. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Quick question: I have a Peavey Cirrus BXP five string. It is natural walnut, five-peice neck, and the serial number is AQHF0508. Is it one of the Chinese-built Cirrus basses? The reason I ask it this: the majority opinion here on TB is that the Chinese-made Cirruses suck, and this bass definitely doesn't suck. And when I say "majority opinion," I mean that I haven't yet found a post saying good things about a Cirrus that was made in China.

Is my bass Chinese? or Indonesian?

2. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Almost impossible to discover the source from the serial number. The Indonesian Cirrus' have "Handcrafted in Indonesia" silk screened to the back of the headstock. The Chinese models have a silver "Made in China" sticker on the back of the headstock. If you have no marking back there, it's probably made in China.

I wouldn't say that the MIChina Cirrus' are junk. They're alright. If you get it for the right price (around $200), it's a good deal. But the Made in Indonesia Cirrus' are far superior. I have an Indonesian Cirrus, and though it pains me to admit it, it's close to being as good as my US Cirrus.

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Mine is Chinese, then. I won't say its perfect. There is a little black (shielding?) paint visible with the rear cavity cover on. The top body wing might even be a little green. But, it plays & sounds great! The truss rod works, no fret sprout, no buzzy frets with a low action, etc. Good enough, in fact, that the Dingwall, Carvin, and Fenders are staying home this weekend and the Peavey will take care of my five string needs for Friday and Saturday night.

The price was right, too. It was a gift.