ID a Washburn Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A Washburn bass has been in alocal store for years. The retail price was around $1,700, so I ignored it. It has been recently dropped significantly for clearance so I looked closer. It has a single Seymour Duncan pickup in the Stingray position with a three band eq. It is marked made in the USA and it has the Buzz Feiten tuning system. I think it has a maple body and a maple fingerboard. Most important, I gave it a quick slap and it is a perfect Stingray clone tone wise. I seriously doubt if I will get it because i just picked up a nice USA Peavey Millennium at the first of this month, so I don't need another four. Still, I am curious about this great sounding bass.
  2. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    That might be the Washburn T34 model, which is just like an upgraded version of the T24. I bought a rare washburn T34 model off a fellow talkbasser here and I love it.

It's a neck thru design, with the musicman pickup right up against the bridge, gold hardware, ect. Apparently there were only 24 of them made as a demo model and was never put into production. It's sounds very high-endish, espically for someone like me who isn't in a band.

I too ran into one of these at a music store a while back. The sales guy didn't seem to know too much about it other then it was "rare".
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Washburn I checked out is a bolt-on neck bass. A salesperson said it was some sort of "RB" model, but he was not sure.
  4. I initially thought of the T34 as well, until you mentioned the maple neck.

It could be an XB model bass, but I don't think those come with MM style pickups.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's a Washburn XB900 - currently discontinued. I used to own one and am kicking myself for selling it. It was the lightest and fastest bass I've ever had. The only thing I didn't like was the sound - not smoove enough - but in retrospect, it might have worked well in a loud band situation.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks Christopher. That Washburn is tempting, but I really don't need a four and I would only buy it if I could talk the store down another $150-175 because the bass is shopworn and I know that it would have nowhere near the resale value of a Stingray or Bongo even though it utterly nails the Stingray sound.
  7. Dr. Cheese: If you're interested in one, keep your eye on eBay, they tend to be sold on the cheap.