Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ID Fender color

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by permagrin, Mar 4, 2004.

1. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    About two years ago I acquired a '71 Fender Musicmaster from a consignment store. I was told it was "Daphne Blue" but that the polyurethane had yellowed over the years giving it the green appearance it now has.

Well, in my travels on the internet I've seen varying comments on what colors Fender was using when, in particular that Fender stopped offering Daphne Blue either in '65 or '69. Could it be another color? I also read where Sonic Blue was the color of choice for whatever reason for Mustang basses of the era, and that Surf Green was offered, not sure of the years. Mine appears to be a bit darker than Surf Green (then again, the color could have darkened over time). So not that it matters a whole lot, but can anyone ID the color of the bass? Far left in the pictures.

2. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    whoa, apparently my files are too large. i'll do some cropping, add pix later.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Have you had the pickguard off? Many times the true color of an aged instrument will be revealed under the p/g.

I've seen some older blue Fenders that have turned greenish, but (on my monitor) that looks like a true shade of green.

4. Looks like Candy Green or Surf Green to me. :meh:

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Could be Teal green that has lightened.

6. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Checked under the pg, it's definitely a blue, now I just need to know what blues were offered in '71 and try to match it up. Thanks y'all!

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Pic(s)?...

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I own two old Fender catalogs...a 1970 and a 1972. The colors available for Musicmaster basses were Red, White and Blue. No fancy color names, just Red, White and Blue, with the Red and Blue being unique to Musicmaster guitars and basses only. The Musicmaster blue is somewhere between Sonic Blue and Lake Placid Blue. At the time, its color code was "517".

I scanned the color chart and here's what "517" Musicmaster blue looked like...

If you'd like a scan of the catalog pages from 1970 for the Musicmaster Bass, please PM me. The page describing the bass has a white instrument, the Musicmaster Bass Set with the Musicmaster Bass amp shows the instrument in Blue. I don't have enough room on TB to post the image, nor the software on my computer at home to resize it...

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I forgot to mention...during that era, the Mustang Basses had special colors too. In 1970 it was Sunburst, Competition Burgundy (that sure looks blue to me), Competition Orange and Competition Red. The competition colors has racing stripes on them on the lower left corner (ironically that would be hidden by your elbow). In '72, Competition Orange was replace by White.

10. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Ah, what a terrific name, 517. I liked it better when I thought the color had a name like Daphne or Sonic....

Anywho, sorry Slater, didn't snap any pics of the color under the pg, but it looks a whole lot like the color BillyB put up. And now that I've seen it, I see tinges of that blue in some places near the edges of the body, I assume the finish is a bit thinner in those areas

And BillyB, I'd love to have the scans, I'll PM you, thanks!

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Dang- I've never seen a finish change that much. That's silly. It's a beautiful bass, but those looks like completely different colors. :eek:

12. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Y'know, SuperDuck has a point, I've seen colors fade and nitro turn yellow and all, but this does appear to be extreme. I mean, old 60s CAR basses don't look fully orange! The story I got on this bass is that it was owned by a Fender sales rep in the New England area, who took it to shows and whatnot way back when and then it's been stored, unused, since. This story matches with the condition of the bass, it's got several dings and such but no real wear. Would some sort of storage scenario explain how polyurethane would yellow so much? Anyone else have a blue/now green Musicmaster from this era?

13. mcbrat

mcbrat Electra Outlaw

Dec 22, 2004
    old post I know....

I just picked this one up...

it's a 1970

I'd love to have the Fender catalog scans too....

I'll have to change my sig. I assumed it was sonic blue. it's much greener in person....

I haven't had the pickguard off yet, but will need to as the input jack is a little rough...

[​IMG]

14. diptixon

diptixon

Oct 29, 2004
    Atlanta
    I have seen Lake Placid Blue's from the 60's that are practically a dark green metallic at this point... if someone gigged in smoky bars for years, it can absolutely happen. My 79 Stingray used to be white, and it is now cream colored, much like the new Buttercream special editions but even a bit darker... all due to nicotine. And I'm not a smoker...
    just imagine what my lungs must look like... :meh:

15. my book doesn't list available colors for a '71 Musicmaster.
    it does list colors for the J and the P, for those years. it mentions Lake Placid Blue, and, Sonic Blue. it also explains that a heavily faded, Lake Placid Blue can fade to dark green.
    sorry for the absence of usefull info. :cool:

16. mcbrat

mcbrat Electra Outlaw

Dec 22, 2004
    here's some of the color pics...

pic from a catalogue and mine...

[​IMG]

and mine before and after my electronics changeup... and a different lighting, but a truer color to what it visually looks like....

[​IMG]