1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ID help American Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OldSchool50, Mar 15, 2013.

1. OldSchool50

OldSchool50 OldSchool50 Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Connecticut
    Just joined TB today. Been lurking for a few weeks and am amazed at collective knowledge. I’m hoping to tap it with an ID question.

I’m looking at a used USA-made 3 tone sunburst Jazz Bass, circa 2003-04. The owner knows little about it but says he bought it at GC (no receipt), He called it an American Standard. I’ve read that the Jazz bass was called American Series from about 2001 -2007.

The headstock labels say Made in USA and the serial number is Z3075XXX. To my untrained eye, this indicates it was made in 2003-04 and is American.

Problem is, some features, mostly on the back, don’t look like American Series I’ve found online. It has a skunk stripe, the neck plate has no Fender logo and there are no holes near the back bottom of the bass. I’ve attached 2 photos. Can post more, including different 2003 American series Inca silver on sale online. The backs of these basses are quite different. The sunburst neck plate only has the CE marking. The finish is also a softer satin that MIM Jazz basses I’ve looked at.

Any advice at what this bass is? Is it American Standard, Series or something else like Special? Anything else I should examine.?

All markings look original. No evidence of doctoring
    . I’m hoping it’s the real deal. He was asking $750 but will take $600.

Thanks for any help.
    IMG_0175.

IMG_0170.

2. OldSchool50

Mar 15, 2013
    Connecticut
  3. OldSchool50

Mar 15, 2013
    Connecticut
  4. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    You wouldn't notice any evidence of doctoring if someone swapped necks with a similar vintage MIM version!

The "satin" finish you mentioned sounds a little like the Highway One series that, if I recall were sort of a hybrid MIA/MIA. I'm not that well versed in that period in Fender production though. So I couldn't tell you what the neck plate or string throug/top load should look like.

5. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    I believe it's a Highway 1. Made in USA, but I think the bodies are painted/finished in Mexico. Uses some of the same parts as MIM bass, such as neck, tuning machines, bridge, maybe more. A bit vague about what is made where, but final build is USA and the QC is supposed to be better. I think the price is on the high side of correct, not a rip-off, but not a bargain.

edited: $750 is on the high side...$600 is pretty good if the bass is straight.

6. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    The one in the second pic is, I believe, an American Series. Notice the "string through" ferrules on the back. MIMs, Highway 1s and American Specials are not string through.

7. OldSchool50

Mar 15, 2013
    Connecticut
    Thanks for your help. Still researching but pretty sure you are right it's a Highway One. These can be had for $450-$500, newer and sometimes with case. I think I'll hold out for a real American Standard. Maybe that Inca one

Thanks again and looking forward to being on TB