1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

ID Help Fender Showman Bass Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Already In Use, Jan 23, 2013.

1. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    That's what I was thinking too

2. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    I played this cab today..Has nice clarity..no killer lows..but enough ummmph. I liked it. Going to slap a Fender emblem on it and enjoy it as I search for a vintage amp to match it up with. Looks better live than in the pics. I'm going to leave the road wear alone. Me? Happy..Wife..meh...no as so! Peace! Thanks...

3. dustoyevsky@mac

[email protected]

Dec 14, 2005
    SRO's were replacement speakers AFAIK until Music Man did the OEM thing with them in the mid-70's.

A Dual (large cab) I had in the early 70's, with D140's, Blackface Dual head, no tone ring was a wonderful sound in some rooms and totally sucked in others.

BTW, I heard a GK 1000 head through a GK 4-10 cab the other night that was highly reminiscent of a JBL Dual in a good room. Ahhh... sweetness!

I have long wondered what the Showman cabs or the Bassman cabs might have sounded like with a simple rear-facing tube port. Or might still sound like.

That SRO might sound very nice in that cab. I think my Dual had the speaker jack mounted mid-point on the "Fender up", narrow end of the cab (speakers vertical) but open to correction there and it doesn't really matter if that cab at least meets Fender production standards, right?

Early-occurence fart-factor with SRO's, I used a pair in a B15 (Ampeg B15 ext cab and fliptop) for low-to-moderate loudness (old days standards) club work-- same "good room/bad room" problem as the Dual but they are very nice-sounding old-school speakers for bass, indeed. Those Ampeg cabs were pressed into emergency PA use for a few weeks and did the job fine with a couple of home-made "piezo" arrays sitting on top of the cabs to provide the last little bit of top end response for vocalsssss (tesssting 123). IOW, pretty much "full range" response, again using old-school reference at least.

4. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I hadn't heard of "tone ring" or "Helmhotz" cabinets until JohnK posted a thread last year about overhauling/reglueing one. I got curious, put "tone ring" in a search engine and found this guy who is making reproductions: http://rawoods.com/?page_id=173

They look to be well executed. Probably a good idea to use screws as well as glue on the baffle. That was the problem with the one John was rehabbing - the glue was so old, things had come unstuck and were rattling...

5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I still like my old Single showman. I bought it as a close out with a D130 that worked well with a 50 watt Bassman untill I modded the Bassman. Then I could over drive it so I loaded a 421A. Lived with the 421A until a few years ago, the 421A replaced a bad recone in my Acoustic 215 (107 IIRC) it now sports an EV 15B pro. It has some classic "road wear" ;)

6. I ran an SVT head into a 2X15 West cabinet in the mid 70's that had two 15" EV SRO's just like that. I never had any problems with those speakers. I later put them in a couple of EV TL cabs I built. Again, no problems ever.

...until, while using them in the PA, a PV XR600 spit DC (bad filter cap) and froze them both. Dang.

7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

OUCH!

8. porting them gives you the same effect, much cheaper, and you can dial in the low end response via WinISD modeling. That's what I did w/mine and I'm very happy with the results.

Disadvantages: not authentic and you have to cut into the baffle.

If you have a nice cab then you'd probably want the tone ring.

My cab was pretty beat so I didn't mind doing that, it's to be gigged, all 90 something pounds of it :meh:

9. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    I have the cabinet at home. It cleaned up really well. Sounds great..even with a 5 er played thru it...I'm not finding any date stamps inside the box. I'm not pulling all the fiberglass(??) off to search for one. The construction is good...glue and heavy slotted wood screws. No plywood...looks like a very dense particle board. Looks hand made as there are notes and marks inside the box noting where to cut and such. Weighs a ton! Even if it may be a copy, I'm happy. The holes for a fender emblem are through the cloth and I'll stick another one right there. The cloth was dirty..shined up pretty cool.

10. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    The speaker baffle and rear panel are only attached with wood screws. Replacing both, rather than modifying the originals, will be worth it when you want to "restore" it to original.

11. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    Pre-CBS cabs were "never-ending" finger jointed pine boards, and plywood baffles. Some smaller CBS cabs used early MDF for speaker baffles... Not sure if/when the larger cabs used MDF for baffle... Fairly certain no large Fender cabs from 60s/70s were all MDF... IME/IMO

12. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    Thanks..I'll take a closer look when I feel like undoing all those screws!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021