1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ID HELP: IBANEZ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I saw this about a month ago at a pawnshop. The owner let it go for $127 after taxes including a new Roadrunner gigbag, a 25' Monster Cable, and a Planet Waves tuner.

The bass looks like a Gio Ibanez and it is made in China, but it has no Gio markings. It also has EMGhz soapbars that if not stock, are a direct replacement. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1404607133.273018. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1404607149.653946. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1404607162.739430. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1404607175.003663.

vmabus likes this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The sound is pretty hi fi, and it takes a good set up. The B string is very clear and a bit louder than the others.

3. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    It's got a 24 fret neck. I believe the GIOs all have/had 22 fret necks. I think it's a SR305 from a few years ago(or more) before they went to the 3 band EQ.

4. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    Correction.... I just noticed it's got EMG HZs. That would make it an SRA305.

5. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
  6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks for the info! I know this was not an expensive bass, but $127 plus all the extras was a good deal. It will hold me until I get my DJ5 in a few months.

7. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    I think that's a great deal.

8. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    The EMGs are worth more than that!

9. That's one damn thing I don't like about Soundgear Basses. Ibanez won't put any I.D. marks on 'em. C'mon Ibanez! Engrave it, or, use some ink some damn where. And, no friggin' cheesy-ass stickers that'll come off, either, dammit.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I played it at church today. I was very impressed because it cut through the choir and piano very clearly. There was no drummer today or electronic keyboards, so I will see how it does against a more full mix in the future. A pleasant surprise was that it was dead quiet, I mean no hum at all. That is unusual for a bass at this price point, IME. The bass is light, I am guessing it is no more than 9 lbs. The string spacing seems standard for a Soundgear, but it comfortable to me. I guess the neck reminds me of a Warwick Corvette I used to have.

11. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Model is usually on the back of the headstock unless someone removes it.
    The Gios are labeled on the front of the headstock.
    And the older models, MIJ, SR855's, SR645's, etc are marked on the heel and pocket, from what I've seen.

12. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    OP: Sure looks like an SR305...

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't see me becoming a Soundgear fan and making my SRA305 my permanent or main bass, but I am really impressed with how good this bass sounds and how well it plays. I could see making this bass my permanent backup five string once I get my Lakland. I could see it being my only five if I could not afford a "nicer" (whatever that means) bass,

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  14. The SR and SRA series shared pretty similar bodies, but the EMG-shaped pickups are the easiest way to spot an SRA since all the SRs use Bart-shaped pickups.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I played through an Aguilar stack at my favorite store today. There was a mild hum with the tone knob maxed, but this store is prone to hum for some reason. I am so impressed with the electronics on this bass. I admit that the 16.5mm spacing does make slapping tight, although the close spacing does make muting a tad easier, still whacking an open E on such tight spacing does slow me down. I am just impressed with this lower end Soundgear. If you can hang with a Soundgear neck on a five or six, go for it!