1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ID/Info Preamp: Takamine EG512C

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Bean, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Jeff Bean

Jeff Bean

Jan 24, 2016
    Seattle
    I'm looking into purchasing a Takamine EG512C. This one has a different preamp than the TK-40B I've seen on every other one. It's not in the same place further forward on the upper bout, either. Does anyone recognize it? What does it mean for this particular bass? Might it be an early version? Any information you can provide would be appreciated.[​IMG]

2. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I'm thinking an earlier model. The pre on my EG512 is in the same location as pictured, but does not have a tuner. I've owned it for 10+ years, and am the second owner (I think).

Jeff Bean likes this.
  3. Jeff Bean

Jeff Bean

Jan 24, 2016
    Seattle
    Thanks, good to hear from someone who has one!

One of the reasons I was interested in this model was because of the TB-40B's notch filter. A guitarist in our (very casual) band has had feedback issues, so for my first AEB, this is a slight concern for me. I'm not seeing anything like that on this preamp, but maybe I'm missing it. Do you know if or how your preamp (or this one) might be used to address feedback?

4. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm mostly a DB guy, but I've played a lot of ABG in the past. I can attest that a notch filter makes all of the difference when it comes to a piezo-loaded bass instrument, and it's the only thing my my preamps / amps I fiddle with when trying to tame feedback. If you have the option to get a notch filter on the onboard preamp, I would lean very heavily to that bass if all other things were equal.

Jeff Bean likes this.
  5. Jeff Bean

Jeff Bean

Jan 24, 2016
    Seattle
    Here's another one, this one has a TK-40B but look: no notch filter on this one, either. Buying basses is HARD.
    $_1.

6. Jeff Bean

Jeff Bean

Jan 24, 2016
    Seattle
    To put a wrap on this mystery, here's what I think I've learned: I don't think there is, or ever has been, a notch filter on any TK-40B pre-amp in any Takamine bass. The only reference to it is found regularly in several of the major retailers websites. I think they're mistakenly using the description, including the reference to the notch filter, of the TK-40 used in guitars, not the TK-40B used in basses.
    If you can't trust the interwebs, who can you trust?! My faith in humanity is sorely shaken.