1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'd like a bit of feedback.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Aug 17, 2012.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    For those of you who have a couple minutes to spare, i'd like some feedback on some recordings i have made (ill post my soundcloud link). In particullarly the two most recent tracks Record Time and Confusion.

I know the bass is not as complex as it could be in these songs but i was trying to write something simple that fits. Any advice on mixing/eq/effects and stuff would be greatly appreciated!

In Confusion, something sounds a bit wierd but i can't quite place it. I used a line6 POD UX1, Podfarm, and Riffworks T4.

Thanks so much for your time. Rock on. :bassist:

Soundcloud:

http://soundcloud.com/innovative-records

2. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    IMO the guitar is too dominant in the mix and the bass needs to be brought up a bit..

3. spz8

spz8

Jan 19, 2009
    Glen Cove, NY
    Yes, the bass is lost in the guitar heavy mix (on "Confusion" at least, haven't heard all). There are also some substantial timing issues.

4. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    Cool stuff. Very original sound. I only just had time to listen to track #1.
    If I were the producer I would say, "Try laying back some and play the 1 on the back-beat. Funk it up a little bit, give it a slight swing feel, and be really conscious of your dynamics through the passages. I think that you could be on to something."

5. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
    The mix is off on both tracks. Timing is OK on the first one (sounds off on quarter notes, but good on the eighths?) but sounds noticeably off on the second track.

Once I have more time I'll listen a bit more closely....

*EDIT*

The guitarist needs to RELAX. Everything sounds/feels very rigid. I'm fairly positive that isn't the vibe you are going for....

6. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    thanks for all the really quick replies! so work a lot on timing, relax, and bring the bass forward in the mix a bit. BTW i recorded the bass and guitar if anyone was wondering and the drumtracks are just loops from riffworks.
    If theres any more advice, keep it coming or if anyone wants to listen to other songs feel free! I really appreciate getting good advice from good musicians. thanks!