1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'd like some advice on alternative P/J wirings

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AndreasR, Jan 24, 2017.

1. AndreasR

AndreasR

Oct 23, 2012
    I think this is the right place to ask this, but if not, please move it.

I'm thinking of having my bass rewired in something other than the regular VVT way.

Can anyone tell me on the characteristics of a PJ wired VVTT. Does it work? How about a passive treble and a passive bass roll-off like an L2000. Could that work or do you need the crazy hot MFD pickups for it to make sense?

2. VVTT is useless without a pickup selector switch, as you don't have independent tone controls. Even with a pickup selector switch, it's fairly useless, because most people don't solo the pickups.

Tone and bass cut is potentially worthwhile, provided that you find bass cuts to be useful. The hotness of the pickups has nothing to do with anything.

One practical wiring that a lot of people like is a modified VVT setup, where you have a master volume and tone, plus a volume pot for just the J pickup. This gives you the functionality of standard P bass wiring, plus the option to blend in the J pickup.

3. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    You can also do V, T, Blend. I tend to like how it feels but it's a bit more difficult to wire, at least it was for me, primarily because the blend pot has a lot of wires (well six). The blend pots tend to be really small too which makes soldering a bit more difficult.

4. you could do a V/T & V/B on two concentric pots
    one for volume & treble cut & the other for volume & bass cut
    then you'd have one hole left over for a 3-way pickup selector switch

or you could leave it V/V for two volume pots & then have the aft-most be a concentric pot for treble & bass cut T/B

5. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    V/B/T does not allow as much control as V/V/T, and you can't get the wide open sound of V/V/T, everything on 10, with it. It adds a 4th pot to the mix, and.. it sounds like it. (a blend pot is made up of 2 pots). I'm not any kind of expert on such things, but, I've tried V/B/T on my own basses, (more than once), (grounded, and ungrounded blend, different tapers, etc.) I play live with everything dimed sometimes, and can't get near that sound , with V/B/T, (it's a bit muffled). Not having that open sound is a deal killer for me, kills the "quack" on my Jazz, and dulls my P/J, YMMV. One of my P/J's has V/T/3way, and while there is no blending on that bass, I mostly use the P, and throw in a bit of the J now and then, the bass has a nice open sound, with a no-load tone pot, when the tone is dimed, there's only one volume pot in the circuit. V/B/T is not in any way difficult to do, TB member @walterw drew up a great simple diagram to do it correctly, I can post it if you want it.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    then something was done wrong.

V/BL/T with an ungrounded M/N blend pot is brighter, not darker, than an equivalent V/V/T. the blend pot no longer loads the sound, so you only have two pots loading, not three. in the middle it's essentially like V/switch/T.

maybe you were using an A/C blend? that one leaves both pickups turned down a little in the middle setting, so you never get both at full strength.

vin97, andruca and SpiceMan68 like this.
  7. Brio

Brio

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    I always wanted to wire my PJ Vol/tone for the P with a simple on/off toggle for the J. Never got around to it.

8. JusttheBassics

JusttheBassics Guest

Jun 23, 2016
    My first two P/J basses had a three way switch, and I liked the simplicity of throwing the switch to get three different sounds. I swore I'd never get a P/J wired VVT, thinking it was going to be a PITA fiddling with three knobs. Then, to my surprise, I found that I didn't need to fiddle with the knobs so much, and I ended up with a lot more tonal flexibility. I now prefer the standard VVT.

9. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    I last did it using your diagram with a M/N 250k pot Walter, ...it might be all in my head.....hated it, (not your diagram, .. the blend pot, ), I might be an old dog, unable to learn new tricks, ...

10. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    VVT is good for me, in that I set my amp, and DI so I can just dime everything and play, if I don't want to turn knobs, and maybe roll back tone a bit. The V/T/3 way bass is not really more simple for me.

11. AndreasR

AndreasR

Oct 23, 2012
    So there's no way to make two tones work without a PU switch? What if you used a blend so you could for instance blend between Rolled off P with a little bit of J sparkle and Bright J with a bit of P thump? Or can't you isolate the two PUs like that either?

And what would a vb with passive treble and bass look like?
    Edit: specifically if I were to do so with 2 stacked knows.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  12. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009