1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'd like to identify this Ibanez Bass ... Help...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thomas Vee, Mar 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Greetings from Finland. Newcomer to the forum and allready asking things... ;-)

Been looking,seeking,searching. This weird ex type looking with precision type pickups. No serial number, only the tuners say MIJ and neckplate also just ibanez and Made in Japan.
    Neck is thin, narrowing towards the top. Very ,how should i say, metallic, clean , crackling sound... Quite good considering it seems to be a cheap model from early nineties... Been using this for recording home demos and works very good just via line input. Easy to adjust with a software/amp simulator.

Here are some pictures. I'd really be gratefull for some information...
    Help me talkbass.com, you're my only hope...

WP_20150306_11_44_49_Pro[1]. WP_20150306_11_45_22_Pro[1]. WP_20150306_11_44_59_Pro[1]. WP_20150306_11_46_05_Pro[1]. WP_20150306_11_45_37_Pro[1].

2. Looks like an older 90's series (as opposed to the gsr 100 , gsr 150 or gsr 200.) Different head stock than the newer ones . The newer ones are a 2 over 2 under set of tuners. Yours is a 4 over. Can't find any references to a 4 over but everything else about (single humbucker and 22 fret neck) says it's a 90 series.

PortlandBass77 and Thomas Vee like this.
  3. Smoove-Groove

Smoove-Groove We've got bush, We've got bush!

Jun 18, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    My first bass was very similar to this one. Mine was an Ibanez EXB404. Bought it in 1990.

Thomas Vee likes this.
  4. joeeg33

joeeg33 Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Central New Jersey
    RD707 minus the J pickup. Not sur exact model

Thomas Vee likes this.
  5. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

Yeah, I remember these. I believe they came out in the late 80s. Very popular on the L.A. 'hair metal' scene.

Thomas Vee likes this.
  6. I agree diffidently from the Road Bass Series

upload_2015-3-6_9-46-13. never seen one without the J pup? But I did read that someone had a RD750 in the UK and it had two pickups so hope that helps

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Thomas Vee likes this.
  7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Definitely a "hair metal" time period color. Not even sure what color name I would call that...

Thomas Vee likes this.
  8. Thanks for the answers. I considered the rd-series also, but the missing pickup made me confused. It had the black plastic knobs, one was remaining when i bought the thing. I replaced them with those metal ones. The frets need a little bit do-over but i'll handle it the next time i change the strings...

Found the bass from East Helsinki's drift store. Payed 75€ for it. The color is really irritative but i like it. I also use precision bass but for some reason i return to this one. In a small country it's nice when you find these things. I also have a perversion for 70's made in japan Stratocasters so this Bass suits me fine ?

Has anyone also some cool findings to post ? Would love to see and discuss...

9. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Nearly completely unrelated, but I bought the infamous "haunted" bass partly (mostly?) because of its freakish nausea-inducing neon toxic nuclear waste slime green color. (Well, and I always wanted to try a G&L with the MFD split P style pickup).

Thomas Vee likes this.
  10. BassShark

BassShark

Feb 16, 2007
    Metuchen, NJ
    Take the neck off. Ibanez instruments almost always have the model number stamped on the heel of the neck and/or in the neck pocket.

Thomas Vee likes this.
  11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I believe it's an RD606, which AFAIK was the only RD they made with a single P. That would make it a bit older, circa 1988. The serial number will help you.
    This thing scream 80s hair metal.

Thomas Vee and PortlandBass77 like this.
  12. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    We have a winner... :thumbsup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thomas Vee and PortlandBass77 like this.
  13. Never knew the RD606 existed. Original knobs should have been rubber, not plastic.
    Been researching this line again lately as I'm about to do some work on my RD828, which is the top of the line version with Lo-Z pickups. I think there must be a bad connection somewhere in my EQ-BII preamp. (Does anyone have experience/data on this preamp?)

Fantastic necks on these, light overall weight, comfortable on your body, great tone.
    A very nice find.

Here is mine:
    kakblissrebar1005b.

kakbliss.rebar.nye02_zps9xfesbj1.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    Thomas Vee and Jazz Ad like this.
  14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The bass seems very convenient to hide a boner.
    Are you the hot singer backing club?

KeithAlanK and Thomas Vee like this.
  15. Like said , it had only one left so i replaced them. And of course not with some coated plastic, but metal knobs... ;-) I also did not knew this 606 existed...

And yes, they were rubber. Not plastic like i seemed to mention earlier by mistake...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  16. Magenta....

Thomas Vee likes this.
  17. To say it with Ace Ventura, "You know, you could take someone's eye out with that thing!" ;) Very cool, though - I like old Ibbies :)

Thomas Vee likes this.